Backing up Data what do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up Data what do you use

Generally I use ghost but as the amount of Data I got grows even this is going to get slow. At the moment 23 gig of stuff takes 45 minutes across hard disks. I do it weekly or before a driver upgrade. Reason why ATI and creative cards.
    What backup software do you use and how long does it take???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Back ... up ...... data?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My system backs up every night to a 20/40GB DLT tape drive using Backup Exec. The tape drive was bought from eBay for around £90 Takes several hours to complete but as I'm asleep when it happens I'm not really bothered
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
        My system backs up every night to a 20/40GB DLT tape drive using Backup Exec. The tape drive was bought from eBay for around £90 Takes several hours to complete but as I'm asleep when it happens I'm not really bothered
        You haven't heard my system plus I've got two that need backing up.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Depending on how much data we're talking about I use either a removable HDD, DVD-RAM or CD-R.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Wow.. good ideas, guys.. this should help me get rid of all those little yellow post-it notes i've been using.

Comment

MSBackup across the network and to a USB 2.0 hard drive from the server.

Annoying 2GB limit.

Comment

Software for system backups: GHOST

Software for incremental file backups: MSBackup, background filecopy using Total Commander or NERO.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I still believe tape is the way to go if you're serious - the problem is the cost.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day, and after a bit of online searching we decided that the best solution was something like this: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/q...11783_div.html

But try justifying the £300 to the spouse...
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Still slow and whos going to change the tapes if you're out. What you need is some sort of exertal raid.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

BackUP My PC
                      scheduled to back up at night, will also do incremental backups of only files that change - saves alot of time
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Or another thing we need is operating system and programs and data too stay seperate.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We use a DLT 40/80 at work, although realistically you only see around 50-60GB per tape.
                          As for software, we've using Veratis BackExec 8.6

In the new year we are purchasing one of the higher capacity tape systems, the one we have our eyes on is the 200/400GB solution - tapes costing about the same as the 40/80's we currently use.
                          We were tempted by the HP 200/400GB autochanger solution that allows for something like 3.2TB of tape space per night if required - that would last the company a good few years
                          However I think we'll have to stop at the 200/400GB unit.
                          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

For commercial backups, maybe, but for home or small office; nope. Here DLT's main use is mastering DVD's for distribution because that's what the service agencies want.

I've found that HDD's are in the end cheaper and faster for my backups. Sure; a DLT tape only runs about $30, but HDD's are cheaper/GB and you have to deal with a 3 MB/s throughput (compressed) for DLT vs. 20-30 MB/s for a HDD. No contest.

I can backup/restore an OS partition using GHOST in less than 20 minutes to a HDD....maybe 30 minutes tops. Then I pull the caddy (hot swappable) and put it in the safe. External IEEE-1394/USB drives like those made by Maxtor are the ticket if you don't have room for a drive bay.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 December 2003, 01:48.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

CD-R's all the way, at 33 cents a cd, you can't get much cheaper. IMO.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X