Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slightly OT: Photoshop Elements 2.0 or Ulead Photo Impact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT: Photoshop Elements 2.0 or Ulead Photo Impact?

I'm going to buy a new photo imaging app and was hoping for some opinions regarding these two programs. Any comments appreciated.

Mark
    Last edited by Hulk; 4 December 2003, 12:06.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

You'll likely get a fight over that one, but I know at least 3 people in my local circle that have quit PS Elements for PhotoImpact XL. I use virtually nothing but PI XL even though I have Photoshop 7.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Doc, you've never steered me wrong before. I'm going to download the trial and give it a try.

Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I would say alot depends on how you plan to use it. I have PI 4.2 and it's powerful for doing like web based graphics and such... you can even create animated gif's with the gif animator that's included with it.

One thing I don't like about PI is that it doesn't support 32bit TGA with alpha channel. Not sure if that has been added in the recent version or not... can anyone tell me??

Other than that I really like PI... it's very good software and cheap for what it can do unlike photoshop.

Comment

Well I happened to take some time and found a review... for those of you interested... it's here

I am pretty much blown away by the changes since 4.2 it definately sounds much improved although I still use 4.2 regularly as I find it easier for some things.

I am a little disappointed as I still don't see any 32 bit tga support with alpha channel. Although I found this "High Dynamic Range - Combine multiple shots with different exposure levels to increase dynamic range. " it sounds like some kind of transparency control.

Can anybody who has this confirm what it does? The author of the article says..."sounds interesting but didn't work to well for me..."

Comment

If you're using Ulead editing/authoring products this PI/DVD WorkShop tutorial should be illuminating;

Turn your life’s best moments into stunning movies with Corel VideoStudio! Get creative with drag-and-drop stylish templates, artistic filters, titles, transitions, and the whole palette of advanced editing tools. Get your FREE trial.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have PS Elements2 and Photoshop 7 installed here.
              PS7 is huge and not too easy to handle. It is advanced, but usually I don’t need it for “daily” work.
              PSE2 is close to PS7 in functionality. I like its Red Eye Remover.
              But, more frequent I am using the third: PaintShopPro 8.0, because a long time before I learned to use the earlier PSP.
              I am using PSP8 in combination with my Nikon CoolPix 995 camera to edit my digital photos.
              PSP 8 has almost everything PSElements has. PSP8 is a few bucks cheaper too.

Fred H
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

PhotoImpact has an endless array of features not to be found in PE2, such as the ability to create and edit vector graphics and the ability to apply kerning and leading to text, to name only a few. In terms of bang for your buck there is no comparison.

You can download a 30-day free trial of PI from the Ulead website or sometimes find it on magazine disks to sample exactly what it can do.

Steve

Comment

This is funny, I had a "training" course on PE2 today (though I had to leave early). I was impressed with it for what we are using it for at work (just web based graphics, usually exports from the AVID). I personally prefer PS7 because I have used PS for years and know it, but the initial learning curve is pretty steep. Good part is that it can do ANYTHING. Bad part is that it costs a ton. We also have a few copies of Paint Shop Pro at work, but I hate it. It is slow (though the pathetic PCs that it is on is a factor). I don't have the time to go through and learn the whole thing either. It just seemed to be a little on the "cheap" side. Price is great though. Elements seemed to be more like PS with the more useful things being the focus, PS has a lot of things, but 90% of the tools are overkill or never used. But on the other hand every Ulead product that I have ever used has been great. I haven't ever tried Photo Impact so I can't comment on it, but Elements should do almost anything you need.

If it was me, the deciding factors would be price and familiarity. If you are comfortable with Adobe stuff (like me) PE would probably be a shoe in. But if you are like our friend the Doc, Ulead stuff would probably be a walk in the park. Plus Ulead tends to make the most bang for the buck stuff out there and it seems to run a little smoother on the PC platform. Adobe is the standard, but Ulead has never failed to impress me.

I might have to DL the PI demo now, you got me curious.
                  WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

What a lot of people don't realize about Ulead PhotoImpact is that it can edit the menus in Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 and the DVD authoring module of Ulead VideoStudio 7.

I'm in the process of writing a Web tutorial about it.

But the static menus in Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 don't allow for moving text and thumbnail positions.

Enter Ulead PhotoImpact.

If you open Ulead PhotoImpact, you can open the .UFO (Ulead File For Objects) template files in the program directories of Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 and Ulead VideoStudio.

In addition, you can open what is called the LAYER MANAGER in Ulead PhotoImpact.

This LAYER MANAGER takes a little bit of time to figure out.

But once you study the LAYER MANGER's default commands, you can re-position text and thumbnails, SAVE the new menu template with a new name, and then it appears as an option when you open Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 or the DVD authoring module of Ulead VideoStudio 7.

You can even RE-SIZE thumbnails.

If you want a great big THUMBNAIL on the main menu page of Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - you can do that using Ulead PhotoImpact.

It's pretty cool.

Jerry Jones
                    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X