Segways to be drafted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segways to be drafted?

The US military is looking at using robots based on Segway technology on the battlefield;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 December 2003, 13:59.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So far, university researchers armed with Pentagon funding have programmed Segway robots that can open doors, avoid obstacles, and chase soccer balls - all without human control.
    Sounds like they're having fun -- at the taxpayers' expense
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Such projects are what often give rise to the highly evolved battlefield tools we have now. This trend of taking concepts developed for civilian use and transforming them into advanced military hardware is nothing new.

A great example is the target drone tech that was modified and extended in range (using satellite navigation & control) giving rise to the Predator, Global Hawk etc.

The next step is UCAV's: unmanned remotely piloted combat fighter aircraft. No pilot = a fighter that can pull 50+ g's vs. 10 with a pilot. A manned fighter would be at a distinct disadvantage against UCAV's.

If you look at many of the newest mini-drones (ex: the Dragonfly mini-recon drone that fits in a backpack) many parts are virtually off the shelf stuff that has been in hobby shops for years.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 December 2003, 02:22.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X