Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save streaming video to computer?

Hi guys,

There is a link to view a soccer match on the Net using Windows Media Player. Is there any way I can save it to my computer for later use or lend my friends ?

SuRGV
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

If someone wrote an app to snag the overlay, people would be ALL over it. I can only assume that it hasn't been written yet. But I've been known to be wrong. Anyone?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

overlay is 'uncompressed', so capturing that would be a bit tedious because of the high bitrate. Most streams can be dumped in their original, compressed, format some way of the other. I think there's a plugin for winamp that allows you do save streams (of some sorts).

Then agian, HypersnapDX (sp?) allows you to capture overlay frames.

Comment

Gurm,
        Thanks for the reply.
        I just found this CoCSoft Stream Down 3.0 and it seems downloading the whole streaming file.
        I will let you guys know how it foes when it's completed
        MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
        AMD Athlon 64 3200
        1024 MB PC3200 RAM
        WD 160 GB HDD
        ATI 9500 64 Videocard
        Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
        Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

all files are downloaded and played without problem. Can't fastforward though.
          MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
          AMD Athlon 64 3200
          1024 MB PC3200 RAM
          WD 160 GB HDD
          ATI 9500 64 Videocard
          Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
          Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

if you dumped the streams to .avi, you can probably build an index with virtualdub (which you need for (faster?) seeking inside the file).

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              If someone wrote an app to snag the overlay, people would be ALL over it. I can only assume that it hasn't been written yet. But I've been known to be wrong. Anyone?

- Gurm
              regarding snaging overlay.... all you have to do is to insert a multiplexer filter, between decoder and renderer, and build up filtergraph with it.

Multiplexing filter should have one input and two output pins, from which one should be connected to the renderer's intput and the other to a source filter, which will perform wrighting to a file.

I'm not a DX or a programming expert, but I know that much.

Edit: I like your avatar. Is it a guy from "Full Matal Jacket"?
              Last edited by magician; 4 December 2003, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                overlay is 'uncompressed', so capturing that would be a bit tedious because of the high bitrate. ...
                Oh, yeah... you could also insert some DX compression filter to the other filtergraph path, and save a compresed file.

Comment

If you can find out the akamai stored file you may be able to save the file. Wouldn't know how to go about that for wmvs. I know some have done it to get quicktime streams in linux. I believe for those it is done by saving the file that is given by saving the embedded movie. Then running 'strings' on it and splicing together the right text to find the URL that is the source movie.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Most streaming files get buffered in cache, I usually just find the file with the right size/date time and renamcce it to ".avi" or whatever.
                    Does not always work but it does 98% of the time. Its easy with firebird/mozilla but I think IE is trickier becasue "temporary internet files" is a *special* MS directory.

Comment

I love mplayer -dumpstream

Comment

Originally posted by runderwo
                        I love mplayer -dumpstream
                        explain...

Comment

If a server only offers a video by a streaming protocol (rtsp, mms, etc) so that you can't directly retrieve the file by normal means, -dumpstream option of mplayer will "stream" the video but save it to disk so that you can play it later like any other file. I have used it to grab things from mtv.com and sites like that where almost everything is offered as streaming protocols only. ex: mplayer -dumpstream rtsp://video.stream.com/path/to/stream/somevideo.ram

Comment

That, runderwo, is good to know.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

mplayer from www.mplayerhq.hu

Comment

Working...
                              X