Digital Picture Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Picture Frame?

Well I've had this idea for a couple months now...and I saw this...but it totally overkill for the idea I had

My idea is much more basic...I wanted a picture frame that had an LCD at about 5x7 size that you used a USB cable to hook up to your home PC to download photos that you wanted to store in it. Could keep about 30 Hi res photos in it or so. But I wanted to keep the price around $50 bucks or so...

Is it feasible?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

that's the cheapest one I've seen. I don't think you'll find one for $50. I saw this wireless one the other day. It was very slick. The basics of it was, you point it at a folder on your computer and it transmits the pictures wireless.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
      that's the cheapest one I've seen. I don't think you'll find one for $50. I saw this wireless one the other day. It was very slick. The basics of it was, you point it at a folder on your computer and it transmits the pictures wireless.

Dave
      Well I was thinking more or less around the idea of making it myself or something...just lack the experance in designing something like that

Plus what that frame offered....it was over kill with the subscribion based pictures getting downloaded over a phone line I'm looking for a digital eqviliant of a old fashioned Picture frame
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I have one of the Cieva's and it works fine for me to keep my mother-in-law current with whats happening with the family across the country. (She lives in NC and us in WA). We take digital photes at home and send them to her frame several times a week. Be advised the $150 is ONLY for the frame---you still need a subscription to use it.

If you are wanting to do something for your own local use this DYI project may be a good option.

Mod a PowerBook
        Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

GT98, small LCDs are actually quite expensive per inch, and I doubt you'd even get a naked LCD and display controller (never mind memory and picture display controller) for 150 $.

I think it'd be wisest to just wait one or two years, and they should be down in price to 50 $. Actually I was impressed that they can be had for 150 $ now. Still too much for a picture frame, but a hell of a lot cheaper than I remember.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I thought about making something like this about 5 years ago, but it's a hard problem (to make one as a sellable/profitable product, that is).

I wanted to make something that you could stick on your desk (like a picture frame), and that would run for a long time on batteries. The trouble is power. To make an LCD look good, you need a backlight - which needs power. LED's need power. CRT... - you get the idea.

There is a new display technology (from <a href=http://www.iridigm.com/>Iridigm</a>) that may do the trick - you only need power to change the displayed image, after that, it's a reflective display - like a photo. I'm not sure if their technology is on the market yet (or if it is, whether I can afford it ).

I don't like the internet-connected units, and I REALLY don't like the subscription thing. I have seen other devices like this (one from Kodak, I think). They all seem to be designed to be a "picture show" device, not a "digital picture frame" device.

I guess we'll have to wait a bit before the device you and I want becomes available.

Bummer.

- Steve

Comment

I believe there are stand alone units which have a cardreader, but they are more expensive. Kensington used to have one that connects through USB (to upload pictures to the internal memory), but that division was first sold, and now it doesn't exist anymore.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

well, the problem is that the industry seems to have a significant problem with making "exact" products

Just making the thing GT98 wants is not "Enough" it just "HAS" to become "Ceiva Digital Photo Receiver"
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If I want to display a picture I go in my woodshop, mill and cut 4 pieces of wood, print the picture to fit and hang the SOB where ever the wife says

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I remember a mod for an epia system: big (deep) picture frame, epia board hid behind it & lcd panel in front of it - looked great.

the cheapest option would be one of these 5"-9" displays for cars (video in?), they are sold for about 50-100€ on ebay here and should do the trick. I was already thinking about getting one...

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Sony had an LCD screen with a memory stick for displaying pictures. anyone knows what happened to that project/product?

Comment

Working...
                      X