Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD succesor is chosen! And it isn't BluRay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD succesor is chosen! And it isn't BluRay...

AOD (Advanced Optical Disc) has been chosen by the DVD forum as the next generation high definition succesor to DVD. It was chosen over BluRay mainly because it uses the same lenses as DVD (thus easier backwards compatibility) and uses the same production/pressing lines as DVD.

Though they do not expect AOD to take over DVD any time soon. Retail player won't be out for several more years and will start retailing at an estimated $2700 for a player. AOD stores 15 GB of data per layer and has 2 layers per side (so 30 GB for a dual layer).

I would like to add on personal note that I think BluRay lost mainly because it's recordable out of the box. Oh well.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Not unexpected really. That AOD (a violet laser DVD) will use the same optics, pressing rigs etc. will cut the costs and that was one of the major things holding up blue ray.

As far as timing goes, that too is no suprise since we still have a whole generation or three of dual layer recorders/players with 9.5 gb capacities to run through along with the already approved HD using 650 nm lasers (current ones) and MEPG-4 decoding (this is already in some chipsets).

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Not surprising at all; because in the time honoured traditions of the Optical industry. If at first you don't suceed; change the rules & try again....
      MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

No seriously folks, backwards compatibility is FAR more important than you give it credit for.

Let's say you're the people trying to sell the public (not to mention movie houses) on a new format...

It's taken 6+ years for DVD's to become ubiquitous, and even now there are still movies and shows that will probably never see the pressing line.

I wouldn't want to be the guy in charge of convincing the public to move to YET ANOTHER new format!

It'll be easier if it just gets slowly phased into high-end units.

"Oh, THIS DVD player also plays AOD's!"

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, take it from someone who really knows.. DVD players would still be a rarified luxury item if they did not also play CDs.

Comment

I wonder if China will come out with their own AOD version, since they announced the DVD-like format EVD.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah but nobody bought EVD, now did they?

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Not as far as I know. It also think EVD needs a name change.

As it is now it sounds like an STD

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X