Why? Jumpy in Ulead / Good in PCVCR & Mediapplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why? Jumpy in Ulead / Good in PCVCR & Mediapplayer

I have a problem. Playing back from the timeline in Ulead MSP 6.002, my files are
    jumpy as if disk transfer rate isn't good enough. Also, MSP is reading not as constantly as e.g. Mediaplayer. Just before it jumps noticably, there is a disk access, whereas with mediaplayer, the it is reading, reading, reading...

As I said, playing the same files from Windows Mediaplayer or PC VCR is good.

I have a Marvel 400 TV. The disk is doing 10 MB/s, the video is 704x576 25fps MJEPG.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
    Karlson

[This message has been edited by Karlson (edited 06 December 2000).]
    Best Regards,
    Karlson.

My setup: not sexy, but stable...
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7XIE4 (Irongate)
    Bios: Version FAD beta
    CPU: AMD TB 1300/200FSB
    RAM: 640 MB PC-100 noname
    Video: Matrox Marvel G400 TV
    Sound: SB Live Value
    Disks: 40GB Maxtor, 120GB Seagate and 80 GB Highpoint RAID0/Samsung

How do you have your system set up? Are you capturing to the same physical device as you boot from? Specs please....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I had the exact same problem after I installed Norton System Works 2000. I ended up reformatting. I don't believe that a fresh install is the solution to all problems, but this one had me beat. Or atleast I didn't want to fool with it anymore. Apparently System Works has compatibility issues with the FasTrak 66 controller. Don't know if your situation is related, but thought I'd throw it out there for you.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I haven't seen info on that specific incompatability, but I know Norton products have had prolems with other devices or drivers. I had to reinstall my entire system after Nortons firewall screwed up my Win98SE installation.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I did this on a clean Win98SE install after I had this problem with Win98ME. I could swear that it once played back smoothly on Win98SE.

I have an Asus P5A mb with K6III/400. I use a hd from samsung that is reported to do 10 mb/s from matrox tools. The file in question is the only one and first I copied onto the disk after formatting.

Thing is: MS and Matrox players play the file smoooooothly. You see constant read acces to the drive. BTW: this drive is not the boot drive.

Also, capturing is not any problem. It is just the playback of a chunked 6 GB AVI file. Wanted to do that from the timeline.

Should I use AVI_IO instead?

With ulead it is a bit jumpy, disk is moving heads jsut before jumps etc.

Any idea?
          Regards,
          Karlson

Best Regards,
          Karlson.

Comment

Here is an exerpt from the readme on the Norton System Works disc. Take it for what it's worth to you. I realize that it is for an Ultra33, but I don't really believe that there would be a big difference between the 33 and the 66. Look at all of the people who modded their 33's to 66's.

Promise Ultra33
            ===============
            Computers that use the Promise Ultra33 IDE hard drive controller
            (included with some Gateway 2000 G6 computers) might experience
            compatibility problems with Norton SystemWorks. Norton
            SystemWorks conflicts with Promise driver version 1.30.
            This problem does not exist with version 1.33 of this driver,
            which you can download from:
            http://www.promise.com/html/support/latestdrivers.html

You can also contact Promise Technical Support. If you do not
            have version 1.33 or later of this driver, do not use Norton
            SystemWorks to repair errors on your hard drive.

It my not have been the only problem I had, it was just very coincidental. I mean 10 minutes later...

[This message has been edited by Sciascia (edited 06 December 2000).]
            WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I am *that* close, I think.

I reinstalled Win98SE. I tried to playback with no soundcard installed. Fine!

So I tried to install sound drivers and added:

[Playback]
              RenderAudio=1

in the ulead32.ini and it created audio files in the Preview directory on another drive before it showed up. It was quite good, nearly perfect. Maybe now I am a bit too critical.

On the other hand, when I realized that I had my hard disks still working in PIO mode, and I switched to Ultra33, the problem came up again.

Matrox hdbench reports aprox. 5 MB/s for PIO mode and 10 MB/s for Ultra33, but the later is jumpy. Do I have to understand that?

Regards,
              Karlson.
              Best Regards,
              Karlson.

Comment

Hi Karlson,

I had all sorts of problems with my AMD K6 using the supplied UDMA (ATA) drivers. When I uninstalled them and used Microsofts own ATA drivers it all came together a treat.

Hope this helps

Chris

Comment

I finally got it.

The avi files I used where written with OpenDML 2.0. That was the reason I was not able to use Matrox cutlist.dll.

I converted them back to the "normal" avi format (this was my intention anyway, I splitted them to be all below 1 GB even!) and enabled the Matrox cutlist. Together with RenderAudio=1, I get smoooooooth playback of everything. I can enable DMA and FrameBufferPostWrite or whatever Matrox asked me to disable.

Pooh. I made a copy of ulead32.ini on some CDs. Just in case. You never know.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
                  Karlson.
                  Best Regards,
                  Karlson.

Comment

Working...
                  X