Via apologises over Hyperion 4in1 drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via apologises over Hyperion 4in1 drivers

After detailed investigation of the issues that have been reported, we have found that they only occur with systems configured with 1GB or more of memory and an ATI graphics card where the AGP aperture has been set above 32MB.

We are currently working on a new revision of the driver that changes the default size of the AGP aperture to 32MB.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I'm sure I saw people reporting problems with less than 1gb of ram.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well sadly the thread about the defunt 4.50 on Viareana has been deleted no doubt on the request by Via.
      Interesting Via are still saying the only thing that changed was the inf file and the driver package overall is the same as the 4.49. Doesn't explain why users using the 4.49 didn't have any problems unless the inf is telling the OS to load the wrong drivers.
      Looking at the errors it looks like Via have been messing with the system cache which would certainly cause people with ATI cards big problems.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Wow, what a great "fix".

Comment

haha
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

New version released and full apology. Also spot the FUD.

We would like to sincerely apologize for any problems that people have experienced with the Hyperion 4in1 4.50 drivers.

In the last week of November 2003, the VIA Hyperion 4in1 4.50v driver package was made available on VIA Arena and it was removed within less than 48 hours of being released. The number of complaints from end users in the VIA Arena forums had reached a level where it caused great concern. The error being reported was the immediate appearance of a windows error message “Drive Write Fail”. A setting in the setup utility of the 4.50v drivers was changed from the setting used in the 4.49v and previous versions. This combined with other specific settings & hardware will produce the error. The error will also occur on various systems, without the 4.50v drivers installed, including the system configurations:
            WinXP SP1
            if AGP Aperture Size is set to > 32MB in BIOS
            1G Memory
            ATI Radeon VGA card
            and any of the following chipsets: Intel 865G, 875/SIS 661/VIA K7 series/VIA K8 series
            With the same amount of RAM, AGP setting, chipset (etc) but ATI Rage Series VGA, NVIDIA Series VGA or onboard VGA (where applicable), the systems work fine.

To recover from this error:
            Boot into Safe Mode
            Use the Programs option.
            Right-click on the My Computer Icon then Properties to open the System Properties dialog box
            Select the Advanced Tab then the Settings button under Performance
            Select the Advanced tab on the Performance options tab
            In the Memory Usage area, ensure the Programs button is selected, NOT System cache
            Apply the changes and select OK
            System restart.

OR

Boot into Safe Mode
            Install the VIA Hyperion 4in1, 4.51 drivers
            Restart

Please check your settings on your computer. ATI’s FAQs also contain some good information about this issue: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4217.html

The VIA Hyperion 4.51v drivers have now been released. Both the 4.50 and 4.51 driver sets have an updated inf file compared to the 4.49v. The inf file simply contains chipset ID information. In this instance, the chipsets are future products which have not been released yet.

It is not necessary to update VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers if your system is stable.
            If you are setting up a new system, with a recent VIA chipset and a recent Microsoft Windows Operating system, it is recommended that you use the latest version of the VIA Hyperion drivers.
            It is recommended that you back up all essential data on your system before installing any major driver, software or utility from any software or hardware vendor. If you use WinXP, make a restore point just before you install any type of software, as a matter of normal procedure. This advice applies to installing any new hardware to a system as well.

Once again, we would like to offer our deepest apologies for this issue, and thank everyone for your feedback.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

So they're blaming ATI for it

Comment

They're also claiming it happens on intel chipsets.

Via never changes.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Glad I gots me a SiS735 chipset, no more VIA bullshit anymore.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Via have admitted that they change the cache settings in Windoze. How long this statement stays up until being removed from the forums is anyone guess. Normally the next step is denial like over the 686B bug.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's good they pulled it after "48H". I wonder why they don't _test_ them for 48H....

Comment

And people wonder why I wouldn't wipe my butt with AMD toliet paper if they sold it. Intel forever.
                        Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                          It's good they pulled it after "48H". I wonder why they don't _test_ them for 48H....
                          Most companies testing sucks these days. Possible because they're driven by marketing forces.
                          ATI have gone onto a monthly cycle and some surprising bugs have crept through. I'd rather they drop back too either a two month cycle or three month or just release betas too the general public.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The Rock
                            And people wonder why I wouldn't wipe my butt with AMD toliet paper if they sold it. Intel forever.
                            Apart from a usb bug AMD have released good chipsets. I wish they'd do it more often.
                            Via could be a good company but it needs a change in the management mentality.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You can't completely ignore AMD just based on VIA. SiS, AMD, yes, even Nvidia have decent chipsets/drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X