SiS 748, 745, or nforce2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS 748, 745, or nforce2?

Ok, i need to get a mobo for someone. Obviously price is a concern, but the primary concern is compatibility and stability. So anyway, I'm looking at nforce2, 748, and 745 boards. Newegg has a few 745/8 boards listed, but in the user comments it notes that they lack in some things (on board NIC, etc).

For now, I'll only be running a Duron on it, but it needs good RAM compatibility and some upgradability for the future. What do you think?

The three 748 boards I know of all have on-board LAN, (Iwill, Aopen and ASRock), what other features do you need?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
      The three 748 boards I know of all have on-board LAN, (Iwill, Aopen and ASRock), what other features do you need?
      by "lacking" in regards to the on board LAN, i meant the quality/reliablility of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
        by "lacking" in regards to the on board LAN, i meant the quality/reliablility of it.
        The onboard LAN on my Aopen AK76F-400N works perfectly
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

no problems with my onboard lan on my msi746 either.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm seriously considering the ASROCK with SATA and RAID for a whopping $54!

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

That board is a steal at $54. The only concern is if you are going to push the FSB, then running 2 sticks of memory at 200 MHz may be problematic. Corsair PC3200 works well in slots 2 and 3, from all reports. It apparently doesn't like Geil at that speed
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Oh, and Gurm, if you get that board, check the Asus/ASRock forum on www.ocworkbench.com for latest performance BIOS
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

No, I have no intention of pushing it. I'll run it at the correct speeds, thank you.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    I'm seriously considering the ASROCK with SATA and RAID for a whopping $54!

- Gurm
                    I saw that board the other day, but never heard of ASROCK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                      I saw that board the other day, but never heard of ASROCK.
                      They're a subsidiary of Asus. Think of them as Asus's budget range

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                        They're a subsidiary of Asus. Think of them as Asus's budget range
                        NO. Think of them as BUDGET, manufactured by Asus.

_NOT_ the same thing!

Comment

Budget does not necessarily mean low quality, esp. when somethings made by ASUS or MSI.

Example: the MSI 745 Ultra....a rock-solid-SOB if ever there was one and also around $50 USD.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

see, the MSI 745 Ultra is NOT budget when you make an apple-apple comparison.

the ECS is budget, it goes for 30 EUR. The MSI is NOT budget, it goes for 55 EUR. One is about twice the price of the other.

Comment

My A7S333 is extremely stable (never seen a blue screen of death after purchasing ~1yr, although it lacks a bit of features oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X