connect laptop to PC without NIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect laptop to PC without NIC

I dont have a PCMCIA NIC for my sisters laptop, but I need to get around 600MB of data from it.

If memory serves I can use PC anywhere to connect to the laptop via the USB port. Is this right??? I know it will be painfully slow, but I only need to transfer the data once.

Any suggestions?

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

You could buy an IR adapter to your pc...
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I could... but tht *would* be slow. Plus, I dont need to do this more than once.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I use an old (parallel, IIRC) Laplink cable to do this, as my v. old laptop doesn't have USB .

Set it moving files overnight and leave it.

Direct Cable Connection is the software I use - it's native in windows. Might well work with USB. Then just map a network drive and you're away. There are quite a few pages around giving detailed instructions if you google.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

cheers GNEP - now to find a USB/Serial cable with the correct ends

Comment

paddy, you could always temporarily remove her hdd & use a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adapter to slave her hdd to your desktop!
            the adapter is around £5-10!

Comment

hmm.. that would be a nice toy to have Cheers Ayoub.

Its on it's way!

Comment

Fantastic thinking Ayoub! Definitely the best solution...
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Or buy a smc usb -> nic adaptor for ~35 to 40 €!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Paddy

I have a usb -> ethernet adaptor you can borrow, and I can prolly lay my hands on a PCCard nic for a couple of days if you still need it.

How much was the 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter and where from? We need one of those here sometimes.

T.
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                      cheers GNEP - now to find a USB/Serial cable with the correct ends
                      I'd like to STRONGLY point out that while connecting two computers with either the SERIAL or PARALEL port is perfectly fine and non dangerous,

Connecting two computers through the USB ports using a straight A-A usb cable will be BAD!!

So please don't fry any USB ports
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, what he said. I also have serial and parallel cables you can borrow
                        FT.

Comment

Something like this would do the job

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yup
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Firewire are an nice option if your laptop happens to have it.
                              400 mbit/s of goodness.
                              <font size="-4">User error:
                              Replace user and try again.
                              System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                              System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                              </font>

Comment

Working...
                              X