Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile phones legislation comes into force today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phones legislation comes into force today...

From midnight last night it is against the law to be behind the wheel of a car in the UK with the engine on, even if it is stationary, whilst holding a mobile phone. The use of hands free kits are still legal however.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Bizarre: I thought this kind of law was passed in most countries years ago. Why so late in the UK?

Of course, some activists may consider it a restriction of freedom of speech

If you turn the engine off (or you have a Prius which automatically does so), can you use the phone while waiting for traffic lights to turn green?

What is worse than using the phone to speak to someone, is trying to read that SMS message that just arrived
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

From my understanding of the law, it would be legal to use your phone at the lights, if the engine was turned off.

Although I expect that the police would still want to have a chat with you.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

In some countries, you HAVE to turn off your engine at the lights to cut down on uneccessary emissions.

How tedious would that be?
        I hate flankers...

Comment

me thinks the £30 fine if caught isn't much of a deterrent!

Comment

Pffttt.....laws don't do much good when you see cops driving with a phone grafted to their ears & drifting from lane to lane like some female putting on her eye makeup

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

to a maximum of £1000, or £2500 for HGV/Bus/Vans.

I take it that is for repeat offenders....

Comment

Originally posted by jonnylane
                In some countries, you HAVE to turn off your engine at the lights to cut down on uneccessary emissions.

How tedious would that be?
                This seems like an awfully stupid law to me.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

surley a vehicle uses up more petrol (and therefore produces more waste) when turning over than it does idlely ticking away...

Comment

Not to mention engine failing to start or drivers "sleeping" on the wheel which would normally release the cluch and hit the gas (2-4 seconds from hearing the horn) would now have to start the car and start driving (10 seconds and more sometimes).
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I wonder when they will pass a law against talking in the car, or having the family with you
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Badly behaved Children are a bad risk. Can't see them being banned though.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                          I wonder when they will pass a law against talking in the car, or having the family with you
                          Well, talking on the phone while driving IS dangerous...

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Another traffic light!

The results of the Bern study, and many other similar studies, explain why traffic regulations in all of Switzerland and most of Germany's large cities prohibit idling car engines longer than absolutely necessary and require drivers to turn off their engines when waiting in traffic jams and at traffic lights where waiting can be expected to exceed 30 seconds. In some German cities, the traffic lights at important intersections have an additional light called umweltampel (environment lamp) to tell drivers when to turn their engines off.
                            source: Looksmart
                            I hate flankers...

Comment

I understand that the law exists, but it's stupid.

You produce more tree-killing emissions when starting than in 10 minutes of idling.

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X