Uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uni

Well after finially regaining control of my bank book (another story another time) and starting a new full time job that pays reasonably well.

I'm starting uni again.
    I will be studying online from my rabbit hutch/dog box in Japan at RMIT in Australia (as well as a few associated Uni's)

It's been a while since I studied and as you all know my English level has slipped (in terms of active lexicon) and I'm well and truely out of practice on writing papers.

So any hints, tips, suggestions, cliff notes, people willing to do reports for me would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Whatcha gonna be studyin' Dan?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Bachelor of Applied Science (Information Technology)

I'm hopeing to do the 3year degree in 2 using RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) - Life Experience etc etc

If you want to check out the actual degree... The site is riddled with Java Script so ...

enter the portal, top right -> subject search, choose Computer Studies.
      The one I'm doing is the first one listed.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent positive step. Only advice I can really give you (having experienced part-time study-from-home for my accountancy qualifications) is that you need plenty of self-discipline. And to be able to get used to that "I should be doing something else" nagging feeling which you will now have all the time
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I have that feeling all the time now - except it usually involves cleanings cleaning the cardboard box I live in
          Juu nin to iro

Comment

St00pid, farg'n laptop keeps crashing!!! Third times a charm they say...

Having just started the uni after a 6 year siesta I have a few ideas for you. First thing you'll need in an MLA writing guide, like this or this or this. The book will give you a nice, quick reference to spelling, puncuation, documentation and writing style. My liberal arts teacher had one as a required book for her class and it has been a fantastic reference for me.

Remember the standard 5-paragraph paper. Intro+thesis statement, 3 paragraph body, conclusion. Most papers you will write in uni (with the exception of stories) will fall into this standard format.

Write your paper at least 2-3 days before it's due. The day, or day before, it's due, take out the paper and read it to yourself in mirror. Reading it aloud after leaving it sit for a couple of days will help you catch 95%+ of the errors and help you find bad wording.

If you have spelling questions that the MLA book doesn't cover (MLA covers the tricky things like the difference between there, their and they're; further and farther, etc.) hit www.m-w.com, or get a dictionary. I just use m-w.com cause it's free.

And yes, self-discipline is the key. I have the wife to help keep me in line, but you'll need to kick yourself into gear.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Good luck, Dan..
              Do most Japanese companies acknowledge Australian degrees?

Comment

Truthfully my company doesn't care about my degree, but immigration does...
                Juu nin to iro

Comment

Congratulations on wise decision, Sasq.

Comment

Good Luck Sasq
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Good luck Sasq! I am entering next year. Hopefully can enter into a good one!

(then that will make it... good luck to both of us )

Comment

I find the MLA guide to be stuffy, restrictive and overly pushy (not to mention downright WRONG in a few places), but yeah it's probably not a bad idea considering how rusty you are.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

It's not so much the rust that bothers me, it's the dwindling vocab.
                          Juu nin to iro

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            I find the MLA guide to be stuffy, restrictive and overly pushy (not to mention downright WRONG in a few places), but yeah it's probably not a bad idea considering how rusty you are.

- Gurm
                            Well of course you do! MLA is good for school papers, and basics in grammar and vocab. Especially for rusty writters.

Sasq,

Read a dictionary. Okay, just joking. Pick up some Engrish books and read a few small ones. Will help get the vocab back in no time.

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There in lies the problem, I must find the balance between picking up my vocab and not pushing out the Japanese I need to learn.
                              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                              X