Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The practicce of medicine may change drastically....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The practicce of medicine may change drastically....

A UK company, using an antibody produced in Denmark, may have found a way to transform blood cells into stem cells, and from there into any type of tissue required;

The latest science and technology news from New Scientist. Read exclusive articles and expert analysis on breaking stories and global developments

This technique would also avoid the ethical problems of using fetal stem cells in research & treatment, not to mention providing a huge and available supply.

In early November they received permission to begin clinical trials.

IF this is the real deal the practice of medicine could advance more in the next 10 years than it has since Hippocrates.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 November 2003, 21:54.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

We can only hope this is the real deal.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I know of the AntiBody trials. I where at one of the lectures.

REAL good stuff - some brilliant new thinking involved.
      The bioindustry in Denmark have been given a good hand from our "new" department of bio-Informatics - they deepmine biological data and extract new meanings. One of my friends is an assistent professor there - what ever they do go RIGHT over my head.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Oh yes, please!

Maybe in 10, 20 years some doctor gives my girlfriend a pill and she grows a new pair of kidneys. "Dialysis?! What is this, the Dark Ages?!"

I really hope for that.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What I want to know is when doctors are going to stop practising and get down to some real virtuoso work
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

problem is that if/when this research is completed, will the knowledge be shared to the world? OR will the pharmecuticals turn against it and by doing so, protect thier profits by treating problems instead of curing them. They helped kill out of country medicine purchases that the elderly need in order to survive.
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

What are you thinking? Of course this knowledge (and/or the machinery to practise it) won't be shared with people who can't afford it. Maybe our health insurance would pay it, though, since even 100000 EUR would be cheaper than dialysis and drugs for a lifetime.

Man, I am SOOOOO glad we have that good a health insurance system here. Our daughter's treatment has cost several hundred thousand Euros yet, and Daniela's has cost tens of thousands of Euros too, and we're both young and poor.

AZ

Comment

Most private insurance carriers would pay for it too since even an expensive single treatment is better than paying for a lifetime of something like dialysis, diabetic care etc. etc.

If anything it's the government single payer systems that ration care and discriminate against those over 50. Example: the Canadians that flock to the US to get care their government won't provide in a timely manner because it's too expensive to provide to "seniors". Silly stuff like 5 year waiting lists for bypass surgery etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2003, 08:55.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

This is great. One step closer to William Gibson's vision of the near future. Replacement organs grown in vats.

I want a new set of eyes, please. Mine SUCK.

And perhaps a new cochlea.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm sorry if I spoil the party, but it is quite a long way from "generating any type of tissue" (just a bunch of similiar cells) to "generating a complex functional structure with various kind of tissues".

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Nevermind Gurm's eyes, gimme a new trouser snake!
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Wulfman, of course it is. Still it's a huge step forward. And you will never reach the finish if you don't take any steps.

Dr. Mordrid: Sure every system has its flaws, but I'll take ours over any other system I know anytime (though it is getting worse, because it's very expensive). I wouldn't want to see poor people die because they can't afford dialysis.

AZ

Comment

1. Tissue engineering has been advancing rapidly since 1995 when a mouse was used to host the growing of an ear flap for a human. Given a cartilege mesh tissue samples can be grown to what shape you want, and with stem cells as the tissue artificial organs are a lot closer than you may think.

2. Renal dialysis is covered under US Social Security system. If someone ends up needing it, regardless of age, they get put on Social Security Disability and put on the treatment list.

Depending on their type and severity of disease they could either get peritoneal dialysis, which can be done at home with an occaisional trip for a bout with the machine, or full time mechanical dialysis.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2003, 00:15.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We cannot get peritoneal dialysis (medical, not financial reasons), Daniela instead gets hemodialysis (~3x a week). We may switch to getting our own dialysis machine so she can get dialysis at home (with me around) after a while (and after receiving training, of course). (BTW, what is "full-time mechanical dialysis"?)

AZ

Comment

Mechanical dialysis = the machine. Refers to the pumps etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X