No announcement yet.

Pheonix BIOS jumps on the bandwagon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pheonix BIOS jumps on the bandwagon...

THis could go either here or GH/S, but I think it fits a bit more here.

Pheonix BIOS, makers of most of the BIOS software in the world, has decided to put DRM (digital rights management) software into the BIOS. Yes, that's right, in the future your computer can read DRM information from the BIOS to lock down copyright protected software.

So, they're telling me that if my motherboard dies or I upgrade all my music is now unusable. Brilliant I tell you, brilliant [holds up a Guiness bottle].

St00pid arse bassturds.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Just think of the global boycott that will incure
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I still fail to see how this will work in practice. Theory is all fine and wonderful but I still utterly fail to see how it will be made to function.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Of course people will find ways around it, but that's besides the point. I think it's giant pile of dog $#!% that people like Pheonix are cramming this %#(_@ down our throats. It's a matter of principal.

Jammrock

Comment

Not to mention it won't fly in most foriegn countries
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just like the for RPC protection on DVD drives, someone will find a way to crack it and we'll all be downloading cracked Bios instead.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              Of course people will find ways around it, but that's besides the point. I think it's giant pile of dog $#!% that people like Pheonix are cramming this %#(_@ down our throats. It's a matter of principal.

Jammrock
              like around the xbox drm-hardware? which is afterwards useless for online gaming?

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

The Xbox is a different beast. Can't compare DRM on a console to a PC. Eventhough the Xbox is just a PC, it is configured specially.

Jammrock

Comment

I agree that within a week a cracked bios will appear online.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    The Xbox is a different beast. Can't compare DRM on a console to a PC. Eventhough the Xbox is just a PC, it is configured specially.

Jammrock
                    why? it's pc-hardware and follows quite closely the original palladium-specs, from what I've read. one of the reasons ms feared the cracking-efforts that much: if someone shows the vulnerability of the system....

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

here we go again...... far too mutch money being thrown in on DRM where it is pointless rather than on R and D where it counts more...... ah well..... i give this whole shebang 3 to 5 years befor the corporats realise thy cant do anything........
                      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Phoenix is probably just preparing for what FCC said

If DRM is to be in PC's they have to have a product that incorporates it to be competative

BTW:
                        Just saying that there will be a crack out or that a loophole will be found IS like sticking your head in the sand

These things have to be killed quick and painfully so that they don't get a foothold
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

1. BIOS cracks hit the market

2. mainboards come out with DRM hard coded

3. pre-DRM mainboard prices skyrocket

4. DRM CPU's come out

5. pre-DRM CPU prices skyrocket

etc. etc. etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

6) Post drm processors no longer available.

7) People forced into the standard via failing parts and software that only runs on new harder.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

8. a black market for hardware opens up that'll make the drug cartels look like a dollar store.

9. all the Kings horses....

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X