ADSL modems and routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL modems and routers

Now is this a good model?? At present I've just got the DG814 which just does NAT. I don't want a dedicated PC as I haven't the room nad neither wish to have the extra cables around.
    Wireless would be useful for when I have to leave my room for guests.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...sar_715pvw.asp try this one. I am looking at the non wireless version personally.
    hmmmmm

Comment

Looks interesting as it has at least default firewall settings otherwise it's going to be a long time working which ports you need open and which you need closed.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What ports do you need open for mail ftp and web browsing. No messaging for Kazaa rubbish.
        Ftp is port 21
        Http is port 80 but there going to be others out of the thousands.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

as far as I know its a whole bunch but I was going to read the manual when i got it. You can download the manual from the solwise site - networking was never my strong point but i need to get the 5 computers in the house up and running netwise
          hmmmmm

Comment

The only time you need to open ports on a broadband router would be if your running local servers you want people outside to access or for some P2P apps. For normal use i.e. web browsing, email, FTP, etc it will work out of the box.

Personally I'd stick to products made by the well known manufacturers i.e. Linksys, Netgeat, D-Link, SMC. You should get decent support that way and the company is less likely to go out of business before the warranties up
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

taz - what would you recommend? I am looking for something about the same price with switched 4 port hub, adsl, telnet/serial/web config, firewall etc
              hmmmmm

Comment

The D-Link DSL-504 isn't bad, you can get one for around £85.00

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Looking at the manual for the Netgear DG834M it seems that all ports are open by default which isn't want you want.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Looking at the manual for the Netgear DG834M it seems that all ports are open by default which isn't want you want.
                    That's not entirely the case, it uses NAT, like all other gateway routers, and this acts like a firewall. As your PC will be on a private IP i.e. 192.168.0.100, it will not be directly accesible from the outside world. If you want a specific port to go to that PC then you would need to setup forwarding on the router. Forwarding works on a port by port basis and is limited to a single PC i.e. if you run a webserver you could forward port 80 to say 192.168.0.100 but you couldn't run another webserver on the same port. On top of NAT filtering some routers have IP filters as well, it's probably these they are referring to. NAT filtering is sufficient for most things, but it is limited to blocking only inbound traffic.

Comment

Well I won't be using any servers. One of two things slip past my netgear DG814 which then get picked up by my software firewalls. Very rare but too be honest I'd rather filter them out at the router.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X