Concorde last ever flight - hopefully not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concorde last ever flight - hopefully not

today the last concorde made its last ever planned flight to its resting place, filton in Bristol UK. Like many others i was there to bid her farewell but share their anger in the decision to take the aircraft out of the air forever more. No longer is it possible to travel from London to New York in 3hours 30 minutes, a step back for the world surely? Virgin Atlantic have offered to buy the concorde fleet from Brittish Airways and continue to run it as BA did but BA refuse to sell the aircraft (funded entirely by the UK and French taxpayer). I think its time for our government to intervene and foce BA to release an aircraft whihc essentially belongs to all Britons and get it back ion the air, a view most Britains share. So if you agree with this, regardless of nationality then please sign my petition in the hope that with enough support concorde may once again fly proud, if it does not then this is a very sad day indeed.

is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

I just had an odd thought, 9/11 and the concorde, if concorde was used the same as the the passenger Jets it would be a lot harder to stop and do a LOT more damage.... is this government paranoia?
    (even if it is somewhat justified)

Comment

I don't know if it would do more damage than a 474, which has both greater mass and more kerosene on board, I presume.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

But, if it raised alarms by dropping of the radar, it would be a lot harder to stop becuase you'd half less than half the time to destroy it..... Maybe we should go back to prop planes (or boats).
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I doubt it'd be easy to steer it into a building at high speed.

AZ

Comment

Sad
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

you couldnt get it up to max speed at twin tower altitude.

She could not be steered with the same precision

it wasnt the mass hitting the tower that did the damage - it was the fuel - problem leaving the states (though international flights even then had increased security over domestic)- comming form the UK or Paris it would be 'sucking vapours' - it would have made a dent - but not knocked it down....
              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

i doubt torrorism played any part, there are so few flyers(most of them frequent) that if a suspect terrorist booked a ticket they'd do all sorts of checks before he was allowed on board. september 11th finished the aircraft though. 40 frequent flyers who also sanctioned their employees to fly concorde were killed in the terror attacks meaning that BA started losing money. Virgin though have said they would be happy to buy the planes and run them til the end of their flying lives. + by the time concorde get to new york it has next to no fuel at all on and international flights undergoe more security precautions than domestic flights, esp on something as high profile as concorde.

Comment

Did you see the Concorde being transported up the Hudson on a barge?

Worlds first Mach 2 Hydroplane!!!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

indeed greebe it was a sight to behold, although its quite ironic that america ends up with 2 concordes, beacuase it was new york that helped to seal its fate by banning it for years from JFK in the early days in order to protect doemestic airlines and boeings share of the airliner market. officially it was because it was too noisy but there were flights landing at JFK that madfe more noise that concorde at the time!
                    Im not american bashing, just haveing a go at your government of the era.

Comment

Well leave it to the American's to strap it to a barge in an attempt for the all out water speed record
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

for any one interested, there is now a website dedicated to this. Which runs proactive campaigns and have over 10 000 members as well as contact with Richard Branson and several MP's

you can join the campaign and do nothing more than register support if thats all you wish. It really needs people power to succeed
                        many thanks
                        borat

Comment

Man, it'd be nice if all planes were that fast. Why have they NOT updated plane technology in my lifetime?

Comment

If 9/11 hadn't happened Boeing would have. They had plans for a mach .95 - .98 passenger plane called the Sonic Cruiser that in reality could have been updated to supersonic if the market presented itself.

Fact sheet: http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/c...factsheet.html

Photos: http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/concept/photos.html

Unfortunately the post 9/11 downturn in air traffic caused the project to be suspended. Maybe that'll change as the economy improves.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 December 2003, 16:13.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My god it's ugly.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X