Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIS part 2

looks like the SIS 755 chipset for athlon64/operon is a winner

HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

Excellent IO bandwidth and HDD performance...

Well as soon as someone comes out with a dual opteron sis 755 based board I will be set

The only bench the 755 single channel reference design, but the 755fx dual channel one should be *at least* as fast.

edit: to make legible
    Last edited by Marshmallowman; 26 November 2003, 00:06.

qouted from hardwarezone :
    For specific usage patterns, readers might want to take note of the platforms that best meet their specific needs. For example, if your upcoming Athlon 64 system is going to double up as a file server or for any other disk intensive tasks, we advise either the use of SiS755 or NVIDIA’s nForce3 150 platforms. If the system is going to be relegated to CAD/CAM jobs, model rendering and other CPU + memory intensive operations, VIA’s K8T800 and SiS 755 handle these tasks exceptionally well. For the average office and multimedia applications, the top platform performer goes to SiS 755 and our runner-up would be either NVIDIA’s nForce3 150 or ALi’s M1687 + M1563 chipset. For number crunching and scientific calculations, the SiS755 is once again the recommended platform.

BASICALLY JUST GET A SIS BOARD WHATEVER YOU ARE GOING TO USE YOUR AMD64 FOR
    now only thing left to check is whether SuSE-AMD64 supports the sis chipsets
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

lol....

I have been waiting for SiS to make their move on K8.

Now the wait is worth it

You know, although VIA K8T800 is the only PGA-754 chipset on sale, I still go like, 200 bucks (canadian) for VIA, no way! (If its 50 dollars I may consider)

I don't trust VIA, after hearning all the problems it has on the southbridge link and PCI.

phew, now all we have to do is wait for PCI-Express enabled SiS chip, and Socket 939, then I am ready to buy.

Comment

I wouldn't be in hurry for PCI-express just yet.

I thought nforce 3 can be used 754 boards as well?

I think the basic HT link to the chipset remains simlar across the entire AMD 64 range. Thats why duallies are so easy to implement as it is all in the HT link on each CPU?.

edit : to add
        yup ,754 nforce 3 board from shuttle
        Last edited by Marshmallowman; 26 November 2003, 00:24.

Comment

Wow, SiS has made a winner it seems, I hope we get more top-tier motherboard manufacturers to sign up this time.

But, I feel like Chrono, I'm not quite ready to upgrade yet. I'm waiting for a number of things, including: PCI-Express, BTX, Socket 939 if that's what's still being used at that time, full mainstream SATA adoption (CDRWs/DVDs, power supplies), maybe a couple more I'm missing.

Comment

Working...
          X