add WAP or replace router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add WAP or replace router?

I'm on NTLWORLD 1MB cable and a Netgear RT314 4-port router. I have 3 PCs in the house, all using the router to share the connection.

I'm about to get a Toshiba S1 notebook, which is wifi enabled, and want to browse wirelessly from one floor down, about 10m away in a straight line through plaster-board & timber walls.

Should I get a WAP, using my final port (I could add a mini-hub but I would have to buy one), and in which case what would you recommend to someone on a tight budget? Or, should I replace the router with a new wireless enabled router that also has a number or ports (and us that case which one?)

TIA

T.
    FT.

Normally the price difference between a WAP and a wireless router are quite small, so I'd suggest buying a new router and see if you can get a few quid for the old one
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have a WAP attached to a router and it works fine. But if the WAP and the router cost pretty much the same, go ahead and get the router.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'd probably get a WAP. I haven't looked in a month or so, but all the routers w/ integrated WAPs that I've seen are 802.11<B>b</>.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've just ordered a D-Link router with wap thats g series.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm very impressed with the price/spec on Sasq's model - http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DI-624 - I think I may well go for that and off-load my router.

In the UK, they are pushing the 624+ which is a few pounds cheaper - any comments anyone?

T.
            FT.

Comment

You might want to look into the Super G routers as well. They are 108 Mbps, so pretty much copper line speeds. I know Netgear and D-Link have one out.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The model I am getting from the states is the super G
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

SuperGs are evil. To run at those speeds they bleed all over the spectrum. 802.11b/g has 11 channels, of which only 3 are truly separate. SuperG uses two of them, and everything between, completely, plus it bleeds towards the third. So, two SuperGs within an area will slow each other down and make just about anything else unusable as well.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

LOL - I think Dan and I *should* be safe from each other
                    FT.

Comment

Yeah, but you're screwing your neighbors.

Comment

Why is SuperG allowed then? I thought there are regulations to prevent that kind of stuff.

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm planning to add a third system to my existing network and am debating the hassle of wiring CAT5 cable to the other side of the house, or convert to a wireless router (g series).
                          My concern is "online gaming". Does the wireless router handle online gaming connections fine? Will I notice any increased "lag" or any other potential problems? I've been told by folks at work that wireless works great and that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference -- but none of them play online games.
                          My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            Why is SuperG allowed then? I thought there are regulations to prevent that kind of stuff.

AZ
                            The entire reason that 802.11 b/g took off is because it's operating in a small band that the FCC has designated as "unregulated."

Comment

I live in a concreate jungle, I'm lucky if I can get signal two rooms away.

(On the flip side, I do intent to turn the service off depending on if anyone else has wap, which is highly unlikely in my current residence)
                              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                              X