Basic video editing with Marvel gets displaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic video editing with Marvel gets displaced

I need to use the Marvel to do some basic cut'n'paste video editing, but when I record the video with Matrox PC-VCR and then play it back it's displaced downwards to the extent that the text is touching the bottom of the screen, and the non-video codes are visible right at the top. Is there a way to fix this?

How far down is it displaced?

I recall that there is some down 'n right displacement to the order of 8 pixels, but on a television it isn't noticeable considering overscan.

- Aryko

Comment

It's definately more than 8 pixels... like I said, I can see the upper edge of the actual video (the part that's in the overscan section).

Comment

Where do you see that, on the monitor or on your TV?

Comment

The captured video looks fine on my monitor, it's displaced when I play it back to my TV. It's captured using the PC-VCR to MJPEG format.
          I'm guessing I should alter one of the "other" monitor settings in QuickDesk, but I don't know which one.

Comment

It's due to the overscan on the TV monitor. It's quite normal - what you need to do is determine the so-called 'safe area' for titling etc.

It's suprising how much picture is 'cropped' off by the overscan. Simplest way to do it is to put text right across the video (from left to right) and top to bottom, then play back the video on your TV and notoice what's missing. It's not really cropped of course - it's just not viewable. It's not symmetrical either!

This is why it's a good idea to have a TV connected to your editing system, for instant visual checking. The other thing to watch out for are 'unsafe' colours - just try creating a title in pure RED and you will see what I mean!
            Phil
            AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

I have no control over the titling position - all I'm doing is record and play back

Comment

Try another monitor resolution, or adjust your monitor settings in Matrox display settings.

- ARyko

Comment

I can't change the resolution on my TV =)
                  (this is MJPEG-out, goes directly to the TV in fullscreen and to the monitor in a window)

But I'll try to find the monitor setting than that TV-out uses...

Comment

I have the same problem (G200, 1.52).
                    If I record a movie with subtitles and subsequently play it back, part of the subtitles go off-screen. It is a pain in the XXX. It is especially noticeable on letterboxed films. The "screen part" is perfectly centered in the original film, but after playing it back, the upper black border is a LOT thicker than the lower one!

Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
                    X