Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasttrak S150 SX4 - SATA RAID5

Actually capable of JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 and RAID5;

Win2000/2003, XP, Novell, Free BSD, Red Hat 8/9 and SuSE.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks nice
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Very Nice!!!

...that makes me want to start building another system, and i was planning to go sata on the hard disk anyways! time to say by to scsi.

thanks doc!

cc

Comment

Yeah I might RAID again, now that Seagate is making 8MB dead silent Barracuda V's in SATA flavor.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

or get WD Raptors 74GB...

Comment

What about 3ware stuff?

If I was serious about RAID5, I'd go 3ware.

Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 November 2003, 07:55.

Comment

Promise does faster sequential writes in RAID5, at least with the SX-4000. Most RAID5's don't do sequential writes much faster than a single HDD, but the SX-4000 writes almost as fast as a RAID0.

Looks like some testing is in order

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hmm, the page wouldn't load for me. Although Daemorok was telling me that he was thinking of getting some high end SATA RAID card...but it wasn't a promise. Supposedly it's the nicest card out?

Comment

3Ware makes really nice stuff, but at a cost. The Promise card is likely to be half the cost.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

generally promise and highpoint are crap compared to these brands:

3ware - http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata.asp
                    mylex/lsi logic - http://www.lsilogic.com/products/sto...erial_ata.html

ATTO - I am still trying to find a product listing of their cards... a friend recommened them, supposedly they manufacture the chips that most of the other brands use.

I dont know about raid5 speeds really, I only have experience with 0,1, and 0+1

To be fair, I am kind of bias against highpoint and promise, since i have use several of their raid cards and always had bad results.

edit: forgot a link
                    Last edited by daemorok; 21 November 2003, 09:38.
                    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allan Poe-

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                      or get WD Raptors 74GB...
                      read my thoughts exactly, silence would be the ideal but ive tried all that zalman shit and no matter what you do with it the sound of the fans is always there, im not prepared to have bits of hose stickin out of my PC so ive accepted that ive got to put up with it and may as well have the fastest stuff i can afford rather than the quietest.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I am looking to build a 0+1 array... at some point
                        drives: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ption=WD2500JD

controller choices:

Comment

Almost forgot to correct myself, I always forget this. Mylex is just one line of cards that LSI Logic produces, and they are all SCSI cards.

Comment

Not bad for about $180 bucks
                            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Cool. I've been looking for something like this that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Eagerly awaiting your review Doc.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X