What memory is double-sided?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What memory is double-sided?

What speed/type of memory can be double sided?

I know PC133 can be double-sided. What other types can be as well? (PC150, PC1600,PC2100,etc . . .)

Just about any of them.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, what modern memory CAN'T be double sided?

Comment

Rambus?
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Alirhgt, so is the next sentence right, wrong, or both?

A machine has a 1.5 gigabyte limit. It has three DIMM slots. So it can then take three dimms of 512MB each with 256MB on each side and it cannot take a DIMM with 512MB on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            Ok, what modern memory CAN'T be double sided?
            That depends on the board more than the RAM. Some boards can only read a single-banked (single-sided) DIMM. Like my 8KTA3. It can support 3 double-banked, or 2 double banked + 2 single banked (still 6 banks total).
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So except for these boards when a board says it can handle 1.5GB of memory it is with 3 512MB or 256MB on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                So except for these boards when a board says it can handle 1.5GB of memory it is with 3 512MB or 256MB on each side.
                Maybe. As said, look for how many banks it does. It is no garuantee, especially if you assume it to be so.

The i845D said it could do 2GB and mostly gave 3 slots. But you couldn't do 4x256 + 2x512 to get the 2GB on that, because it could only handle 4 banks. So it killed a lot of memory configuration options there.

You can also check on Crucials web site on their Motherboard RAM selector. It usually gives the details on how many banks they do.

J1NG

Comment

You also have to watch out for some implementations. I've seen the opposite happen. A board that "supports" 512MB DIMMs, but they didn't fully wire for large banks, so it *has* to have double-sided DIMMs.

Comment

RTFM

Comment

Working...
                    X