Wages, cost of living rent, etc in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages, cost of living rent, etc in UK

I know many members of this forum (including the main Mod\owner) are from the United Kingdom and could perhaps answer a few questions for me.

I am contemplating taking a newly created position with a my company that will be a one-man operation in the Lincoln\Lincolnshire area. As such there is no predecessor to whom I can ask some very basic questions.

The salary will be £ 61,600 - £ 74,000 (before UK taxes) depending on some allowances pegged to US State Department tables.

#1 Is this considered a good salary range?

#2 Is it sufficient to find reasonable rental accomodation for a couple in their 50s? Heating, Telephone, BROADBAND. Minimum of two bedrooms.

3# Pay taxes, insurance and operation expenses for a modest used automobile?

#4 Have enough disposable income left over to actually SEE the UK and visit the continent?

I have several months before I have to commit. My Wife and I see this as a great opportunity for 2-3 years but don't want to walk blind into the situation.

Any information/insight would be greatly appreciated.

--AJ

#4 Have enough
    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Re: Wages, cost of living rent, etc in UK

Originally posted by HomeBrewer
    [B]I know many members of this forum (including the main Mod\owner) are from the United Kingdom and could perhaps answer a few questions for me.

I am contemplating taking a newly created position with a my company that will be a one-man operation in the Lincoln\Lincolnshire area. As such there is no predecessor to whom I can ask some very basic questions.

The salary will be £ 61,600 - £ 74,000 (before UK taxes) depending on some allowances pegged to US State Department tables. #1 Is this considered a good salary range?
    I've discovered that a lot of things cost as much in pounds as they do in dollars. At least consumer goods of a geek nature.

DVD player that costs $125 here? 125 pounds there. Yeah, that's about $200. Oops.

#2 Is it sufficient to find reasonable rental accomodation for a couple in their 50s? Heating, Telephone, BROADBAND. Minimum of two bedrooms.
    I'm not sure if the UK has "affordable" broadband yet. Ok, I'm just picking. I'm sure they do, they seem to have gotten over that "per minute" thing and are now on the "bandwidth limit" thing.

3# Pay taxes, insurance and operation expenses for a modest used automobile?
    Warning: Insurance on autos over there is based on engine size. Get used to the idea that you will be driving a vehicle with substantially less horsepower than a moped.

#4 Have enough disposable income left over to actually SEE the UK and visit the continent?
    You can WALK to most of the continent. Erm, or at least bike.

I have several months before I have to commit. My Wife and I see this as a great opportunity for 2-3 years but don't want to walk blind into the situation.

Any information/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    No kids, no debts? I'd go.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

#1 depends what you're doing

#2 yes

#3 yes

#4 yes

Lincolnshire is one of the cheapest places in the UK to live. But make sure you take your time looking for a nice place as the turnover of rental properties can be relatively low there than in metropolitan centres.

Money-wise, you should be fine. You should see somewhere in the region of 3.5-4k GBP net per month (could be more as I don't think you'd pay national insurance).

For Lincolnshire, I'd guess 500-1000 pm should get you somewhere reasonable to live. Might be worth trying to look on the web first as there are quite a few property websites in the UK (just can't think of any links at the moment) to check approx prices. NB this varies greatly by region so don't think "Leeds is quite close so it'll cost the same"... Broadband - about 24 GBP per month, but watch out that the potential house is within reach of an enabled exchage (www.adslguide.ord.uk).

Watch out for car insurance. Can be expensive. But you should easily be able to drive a comfortable 2 litre around on your potential salary. In Lincolnshire you'll get stuck behind lots of tractors, so probably Gurm's moped would be better

To see Europe and the UK more specifically: this can be done v. cheaply or in style. Either way, you'll be able to do it. Also distances within the UK are small for someone coming across from the states, so weekends spent seeing Britain in your car are great fun and can take you most places (possibly not Aberdeen but then why on earth would you go there?) You will be quite close to (and the right side of the Humber for) Humberside Airport which is v. small but will get you onto the continent easily. There are quite a few budget airlines around now, which make the most sense in Europe because flights are only ~1 to 3 hours. For longer trips to the continent, you can get a North Sea Ferry from Hull to Holland or Belgium and then drive from there.

Do it. Why not eh? You'll only regret it if you don't!

(And don't get put off by anyone's reaction to Lincolnshire - OK, it's a bit empty but it makes a good base and it's easy to get out of (I think - I usually go around it). Some bits are even pretty (Lincoln itself certainly is). And what's best - it's only a short distance from God's own County itself, lovely Yorkshire
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

That's a respectable wage in the US and the UK. If it's just you and your wife (no kids), and assuming you won't have to maintain a second residence in the States, I think you'll be living very well. You certainly could afford to pay a bit more for a DVD player.

You might want to take a short trip to Lincolnshire and look around before making up your mind.

It does sound like an adventure. How often do opportunities like this come along? It could be the time of your life.

Just don't eat anything called "pudding". Odds are its not chocolate or butterscotch. However, I'm told toad-in-the-hole is not made with actual toad.

Paul
        Last edited by paulcs; 18 November 2003, 20:56.

Comment

2 litres?

I drive a 2.5L, and last I checked it was more to insure it for a year in the UK than to buy it.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

no problem.

I used to live in Lincolnshire. It has a very low standard of living.
            It is one of my favorite counties in the UK
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Wish I earned that much you shouldn't have any problems unless you're a complete moran with your finances.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

#1) Yes!!!
                #2) Yes!!!
                #3) SL55 AMG!!
                #4) After the SL55 AMG not anymore
                Heheh joking joking. I duno anything about UK (only that Mini&Rolls Royce belongs to BMW, Bentley to VW, AS&LR to Ford and Rover is a total piece of garbage )

Comment

Thanks all for your response. The positive feedback has been most helpful. My wife and I will continue in our preliminary research with the objective being accepting the position when it is opened. I have the luxury of not having to make a binding commitment until Feb -Mar time frame and actual relocation until late spring/early summer.

One great aspect if this comes to pass, I can provide local support for CAMRA.

Cheers!
                  Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Homebrewer

The average salary in the UK is <£25k. Your salary would be a very comfortable living indeed, even if supporting 2 people.
                    I drive a 2.0 16V Mondeo, which costs me ~£400pa to insure and does about 30mpg, with gas costing ~£3.40/imperial gallon. Fixed costs are £165 road tax and £30 for the annual inspection for cars over 3 years old.

Gnep said most of what else I wanted to say.

Go for it, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure CAMRA will welcome you too

Gurm has kids - we are safe for now!

T.
                    FT.

Comment

You'll have no problems at all, and that's coming from someone that only earns £25k and lives in Reading, (40 miles from London).

Comment

Re: Re: Wages, cost of living rent, etc in UK

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Get used to the idea that you will be driving a vehicle with substantially less horsepower than a moped.
                        - Gurm
                        What kind of mutated freakish mopeds do you have in the US??
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Insurance rates in the UK have apparently gone down. 400 pounds for 2.0L? That's pretty good compared to last time I discussed insurance rates with someone from the UK!

- Gurm

Comment

You'll also have to get used to drinking your beer (bitter) warm But then you'll need to in Lincolnshire...

(Have I been rude enough about Lincolnshire yet? )
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Insurance rates in the UK have apparently gone down. 400 pounds for 2.0L? That's pretty good compared to last time I discussed insurance rates with someone from the UK!

- Gurm
                              Ask an 18 year old and you could probably add a 0 on I'm 35, maximum no-claims discount etc. Homebrewer is probably in a similar price bracket. And no, they haven't gone down - they are generally rising above inflation because people are getting more and more litigious

T.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X