Testing new graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing new graphics card

I've got a new graphics card (Radeon 9600Pro) and I want to test it in my system (current card Geforce2 Ti).
    I can't actually keep the card in there as it is a Christmas present from the wife, but I would like to test it before she wraps it, so that I can get it replaced within 30 days if there is a problem.

The advice for swapping graphics cards seems to be to uninstall current drivers, swap cards, install new drivers.

I don't really want to do this as I will be going back to the geforce for a month or so, and I am using drivers hacked to give TV resolutions, which can be a pain to get working

Would I get away with just swapping the cards and installing the catalyst drivers - or will this cause huge amounts of grief?

Have you got a spare hard disk (small one) anywhere that you can try a fresh install of windows with? Would save hassle just to swap HDDs around as the temporary measure...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

well.. you could put the geforce2 card back in the radeon box and have her wrap that.. could she tell the difference?... if not, you just leave the radeon in your computer
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I do have another hard drive actually - I was thinking of doing that, just hoping for a slightly quicker option.

Originally posted by tjalfe
        well.. you could put the geforce2 card back in the radeon box and have her wrap that.. could she tell the difference?... if not, you just leave the radeon in your computer
        I was thinking exactly the same thing
        On the other hand, having to wait will give me something to look forward to, and I might (just) be able to survive Christmas with the inlaws

Comment

Good idea!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Tested with another HD - works nicely.

Forgot to sort out a copy of my network drivers tho, so ended up testing with:
            Windows XP pro no patches/no SP.
            Default DirectX 8.1
            Cat 3.4 that came on driver CD
            Original Unreal Tournament - didn't change any config from how it ran on Geforce.

Things I noticed:
            I set AA to 4X - seemed to make no diff to UT
            I set AF to 8X - not sure if that worked or not.
            There were glitches in UT - transparent parts of flame planes were green from distance or looked at edge on.
            Shield belt golden glow seemed odd too.
            I assume these are fixed with newer drivers.

On the other hand UT played much smoother - with a geforce 2 it slows down massively if you are looking towards someone who is chaingunning you. There were no noticeable drops with the Radeon. Wish I had checked out the level that is all passages with snow falling outside - visible through windows. My geforce would slow down massively as you passed the windows (5-10fps if you looked right out them).

Have to save all the UT2003 and DX8 and DX9 goodness for after Christmas.

Comment

Try Cat 3.9

If she doesn't notice the difference, u can give her the GF2, and say something like...

The GF is made of Titanium so it must be better

Comment

keep the radeon anyway and say "The sun spots made me do it"
                ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Working...
                X