Amstrad Emailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amstrad Emailers

My grandmother wants a computer not for typing, but for emailing. Rather than spend a few hundred quid buying a cheap and chearful computer I thought about one of these.

There seems to be mixed reviews and Amstrad certainly seems to have lost a load of cash on them... What do you think?

Are they a viable alternative?

Or would you suggest something else?

Cheers,

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

could she laugh about those funny flash-movies / greeting cards all her friends are sending out? or other attachments?

on the other hand side, she would be safe of trojans/viruses...

tough decision.

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

they are only £45...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

That's cheap, but if she emails a lot, I don't think it'd be very practical (small screen not very compatible with old eyes, impractical keyboard...). Also, she MIGHT want to visit a web site every now and then, and, as wulfman said, those flash cards can be really funny. I'd get her a cheap computer, probably a via epia (cheap, fast enough, and can be fanless without any fancy stuff).

There, and I didn't even say you should get her Opera installed (sorry for your modem flashing gone wrong btw )

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

This is cool:
          We believe all our e-mailer users are special, and to prove it we will send dedicated ‘SPECIAL OFFERS’ to your e-mailerplus absolutely FREE.
          Spam always makes me feel special

Comment

ROFL.

Well, we bought my grandmother something called an "i-opener". It ran a customized version of FreeBSD that ONLY had web surfing and e-mail. It had an 8" old-style LCD screen and an integrated keyboard.

It was a cute little unit. The company went out of business but sold their e-mail accounts to someone else, so she kept paying $8/mo. for it... until it got stolen.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

They've actually recently started making money!

Comment

Working...
              X