Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox(?)Card & AIX

Hi Folks,

I am asking this for a friend - so the information/situation I describe may be lacking some details.......

He got hold of some old Powerstack (?) AIX Machine and owes a GFX card he describes as this:
    - Chip has a MGA Logo, the letters (somewhat unreadable) identifieing it as MGA1264 (the 2 is the number wich is unreadable and could well be some other letter).
    - the typical memory expansion slot for Matrox cards of that generation.
    - below of the feature connector is another slot with aprox. the same numbers of pins/connectors as the feature connector.

The OpenFirmware of this AIX machine identifies it as a MilleniumI...
    the colour depth is limited to 8bit...

Question now is:
    (If I remember it right (yeah, PC talk in Pub environment isn't best situation to remember all details ) he mentioned something that this card is able of 16bit and he thinks that the IBM machine is just identifieing it as one of the old ibm 8bit Mil.I OEM cards (ok, was before my PC time - so I don't even know those existed) through to chip id, but so limiting its potential....)

Wich steps should he take to clearly identify this card, is this card capable of more then 8bit colour depth? And if yes, how can the OpenFirmware routine be tricked to identify it correctly, are there 3rd.party drivers for that OS and card out there?

Thanks,
    SHAnDRA

P.S.: Yes I know that I provided much too less information - but if one of you thinks he can be of any help - tell me what to ask of my friend and I will get that information
Working...
X