Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain surgery 101

Everybody knew this but me:

After replacing a noisy case fan and disconnecting the P4 fan to reroute its power cable you should connect it again. If you don't, like I didn't, your computer will run for about 30 minutes and die.

I waited 15 minutes for the cpu to cool down, restarted and still saw 73C in the BIOS hardware monitor! Normally I see 40C with stock heatsink/fan and oc'd 10%.

I believe my chances of becoming a brain surgeon are extremely limited...
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not reconnected a fan as well.

Comment

I've done a somewhat related stupid thing. I've touched the heatsink of an overclocked early Thunderbird whose fan had stopped. Those things are quite hot y'know
      <font size="-4">User error:
      Replace user and try again.
      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
      </font>

Comment

My BIOS tells me off if I forget... although I've now turned that feature off since I've gone watercooled
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm lucky it worked at all, it must have been very hot!

Do you think the artic silver 3 thermal grease should be replaced after this screw-up? Would it break down or otherwise be compromised? I assume not as it is designed for heat transfer, but...
          P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

I removed and reinserted a different video card from a powered machine once. It was the first PII I had ever touched and how was I supposed to know that it just went into StandBy mode.

Oh and it has a range of
            Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C

Comment

The P4 from memory should have throttled down in speed to protect itself - if tom's little burning athlon video is correct
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                I removed and reinserted a different video card from a powered machine once. It was the first PII I had ever touched and how was I supposed to know that it just went into StandBy mode.

Oh and it has a range of
                Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C
                Wild temp range!

Comment

My gf's comp just shut down after few hours of using it and this problem had persisted for many months. After going back my country, I found out that the CPU had been dead for long.. Replacing with a new fan has kept it alive till now.

It's AMD K7 and the outside temp. is always around 30°C or more throughout the year..
                  MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                  AMD Athlon 64 3200
                  1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                  WD 160 GB HDD
                  2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
                  ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                  Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                  Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
                  Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Originally posted by gangster
                    Wild temp range!
                    FOr something like this, I guess one would prefer a littl overkill considering how some people like to go crazy with overclocking.

Comment

Re: Brain surgery 101

Everybody knew this but me:

After replacing a noisy case fan and disconnecting the P4 fan to reroute its power cable you should connect it again. If you don't, like I didn't, your computer will run for about 30 minutes and die.

I waited 15 minutes for the cpu to cool down, restarted and still saw 73C in the BIOS hardware monitor! Normally I see 40C with stock heatsink/fan and oc'd 10%.

I believe my chances of becoming a brain surgeon are extremely limited...
                      Hm, I did NOT "Know" that

as Sasq said:
                      Originally posted by Sasq
                      The P4 from memory should have throttled down in speed to protect itself - if tom's little burning athlon video is correct
                      Wich is correct

BUT!

This was no "normal" situation
                      The above mentioned down throttling causes extreemely "slow" P4's when used togheter with crappy heatsinks so many "overclockings" motherboards seems to disable the thermal failsafe

Wich is incredible stupid

On a normal board you can't kill a P4 by using a crappy HS or by runing it without fan, only slow it down
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My heatsink once wasn't fixed properly... The computer booted, beeped very loud, showed a number of red leds (general overheat alarm, thermal alarm for this processor, indicator that this processor was shut down)

After reseating the heatsink, everything was normal... (no problems with the CPU)

Gave me a scare though...

Jörg

PS: Gangster: brain surgeons don't need to connect cooling fan wires, so you could still go for it...
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Re: Re: Brain surgery 101

Originally posted by Technoid
                          Hm, I did NOT "Know" that

as Sasq said:

Wich is correct

BUT!

This was no "normal" situation
                          The above mentioned down throttling causes extreemely "slow" P4's when used togheter with crappy heatsinks so many "overclockings" motherboards seems to disable the thermal failsafe

Wich is incredible stupid

On a normal board you can't kill a P4 by using a crappy HS or by runing it without fan, only slow it down
                          It did slow down considerably before quitting and works fine now so I guess all safeguards were in place.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Brain surgery 101

It did slow down considerably before quitting and works fine now so I guess all safeguards were in place.
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                              My heatsink once wasn't fixed properly... The computer booted, beeped very loud, showed a number of red leds (general overheat alarm, thermal alarm for this processor, indicator that this processor was shut down)

After reseating the heatsink, everything was normal... (no problems with the CPU)

Gave me a scare though...

Jörg

PS: Gangster: brain surgeons don't need to connect cooling fan wires, so you could still go for it...
                              Re: ...brain surgeons don't need to connect...

I still think I better pass...

Comment

Working...
                              X