Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little story

Today a cable company(broadband internet and telephony) wanted to sell
    us their products. At the moment we have a normal telephone line combined with adsl
    I got ADSL because they where available here a year earlier than the cable compagny.
    We have to pay a standard amount of money 13 euro per month and ADSL is 40 euros per month.
    the Telephone company had a monopoly for a long time. The cable company is pretty new and
    uses fibre rings combined with the coax connections also used for TV (standard stuff).

The door rings, and I open the door, there are 2 guys, one is stil in training.

salesboy1: Hi, we are from ####### and we come to advertise this product that has become
    available in this region. Are your parents at home
    me: Ah, well we have adsl already so, we really not interest
    sb1: At what time are your parents at home?
    me: my mother is home now (stupid I am, nevertheless).
    sb1: Call yur mother, she has the right to hear it too.

We had other visitors at the moment, so I go back to the kitchen and I noticed that my
    mother had let them in. So after a few minutes I join them.

sb1: We offer a product that is cheaper and better than what you now have. Now have only
    one payment of 41,99 euros , you get an internet connection (also cable,duh) and a
    telephone connection (using cable) for free. So you be only charged using the
    telephone when you really use it. And if you do it now we will install the connection
    for free and deal with the telephone company (because you have to pay this company if you want
    to close the telephone line , it seems a good deal isn't it).

me: thats nice but we already have ADSL for 2 years now.
    sb1: Our company has the fastest speed in whole Europe, blah blah (I forgot,sue me)
    me: but your company has download limits 20 gigabyte a month (and that is not even 100%
    true, because its 10 gigabyte if you download between -+8.00 till -+18.00 and else
    20 gig.)
    sb1: you can get this game pack, then you can download 40 gigabyte a month and that is
    alot, you can't download that much in a month (me: wanna bet!!). your upload will
    be 192 Kbit instead of 128Kbit so don't need to download as much (me: euh,whatever..)
    And you can upload 6 gigabyte a month instead of the usual 2 GB. The price will be
    52.99 euro a month (make a note of that)
    me: My current provider allows me unlimited download and upload and its fast enough.

Now he goes in blackmail mode (me don't that, me getting agitated)
    My mother also said that she doesn't use the phone much and maybe in the future get rid of it

sb1: It also will be interesting when yur going to move out, then yur mother can get rid
    of the phone and still have internet. That isn't possible in your current situation.

he has got a point there, but he shouldn't tell me what to do.

me: ...(no words, which is weird, he got me, grrrr)
    sb1: And another thing our company uses fibre and this is much much faster than those copper
    wires. (well he said a couple times, but the first time I cutted some slack on him)
    So our technology is newer and better.

me: uhm, you are right that fibre optics is faster than copper wires, but that has nothing
    to do with the speed of internet. ADSL is a technology that alows high speed internet
    over these copper wires and there are other dsl techniques like VDSL witch will be able
    to achive 30 - 40 Mbits. And our current telephone provider also uses fibre to connect
    the different stations (DSLAM). and your company also uses the coax cable, not only fibre, so that can be
    also be a limit in the future. Technology evolves constantly.

Now he looks at me waits a few seconds (proberbly because he now knows 1# he underestimated me
    or 2# I just made that story up. And now I know that his technological background is pretty
    low. He chooses for the 2#, bad choice, for him

sb1: Look at the other advantages, you don't need to connect to the internet ,
    instantly connected to the net, no waiting time.
    me: With ADSL it takes for what 2 seconds, and I have a server running so its also
    connected the whole time.
    sb1: But ours you don't need to wait!!
    me: sigh...

sb1: You get only one bill instead of now three (one for our telephone line, one for the adsl and one for the telephone bill)
    my mother: it isn't that hard, in the beginning it was confusing but now its not a problem.
    sb1: But it SO much easier, receiving one bill. and you don't need to pay for the telephone line it's
    included in the price. so it will be no problem when you don't want to use the phone
    anymore, only the internet.

I just tought of couple of other arguments that a friend of me told me and I know he proberly doesn't understand it
    me: Your ISP provider has a couple of limits, like a FTP server can't run on the standard port (21) neither can a
    webserver, telnet, etc...
    sb1: FPD ?? whats that, never heard of (he looks at his apprentice, he doesn't know it eather)

me: FTP, for transferring files etc.
    sb1: I don't understand
    me: you block those ports.

he still doesn't understand it, he decided to call someone who has more techn background

techguy: yes you can't run it on the standard ports, you download bulletpro...
    me: I already have an FTP server.
    techguy: So you download bulletproof...
    me: sigh.
    techguy Install it and change your ftp port a 5 digit number.

So I will be polite to that guy an thank him for the info. Now the sb1 knows that it isn't
    a real problem.

me: Me and my brother also try new Operating systems like windows 2003, linux (not true yet).
    and some functions for taking over a computer etc will not work then and telnet eather.

He is still not convinced, he wants to sell it, although he sais its completly free no obligations
    It sure doesn't feel that way.
    He starts all over again about the advantages have no seperate phoneline... blablabla
    I wasn't paying much attention..

The problem was he twisted the words in that way it wasn't possible the make a contra argument.
    So I decided to go his way for awhile, thinking that I am convinced, well sort of.

me: So when we decided to take it, what will I need.
    sb1: Well we will install a small box in the basement for free, and from there you get a networkcable
    that will be connected to your computer.
    me: we have three computers here, do you allow more than one computer.
    sb1: yes up to 4,but then you need a router.
    me: You will deliver us that too (I could try )
    sb1: uh, no, you need to buy that yourself
    so first its completly free and you need to buy stuff...
    me: I share my internet with a computer , thats proberly also possible?

here is where the fun starts
    sb1: Yes just connect the cable to your network card.
    me: I don't have a network card in there (ok one network card, but thats for the internal network)
    sb1: Yes you have, how could otherwise connect to broadband internet.
    me: I have an internal ADSL modem!
    sb1: Yes and thats where you insert our cable.
    me: Uhm no, its and internal ADSL modem, like there were analog modems, it has and telephone jack
    not an netwerk jack. you can try , but it won't fit (and when it does... omg)
    sb1: Do you have USB?
    me: uhm I have but its not enabled.

he just doesn't understand.

So I need also a network card then, or do you guys deliver that with it?
    sb1: we could...

my mother tells him that she and my dad need to talk about it.
    he has been here about 1 hour now, still nothing sold, moehheheh

sb1: so I can come back later? after 18.00
    my mother agrees.
    sb1: We will check then your computer too, I am sure its just a network card...

He sure doesn't give up, does he. And he looks a bit irritated. hmm

me: the back of that computer? gosh that would be difficult I think, because it in a drawer
    (it really is) and its a bit hard to get it out there.
    sb1: you always find an excuse don't you?

me: You just don't get it...
    my mother: ok We will see you after 18.00 then, bye

Well they came back, my dad had the perfect excuse. that we needed it for his work and
    that it wouldn't work with telenet, it could, but then he has to wait again for 2 months.
    So they wander off, proberly thinking that spend more than hour for nothing

For me it was obvious, but for people that don't know the difference and similarities between
    cable internet and ADSL, they can easily persuade those people. As stated in the beginning we pay
    13 euro for the phoneline and 40 euros for ADSL which is 53 euro per month, which is about the
    same price. We pay a few extra euro now, but thats for extra services (like caller id) you proberly need
    to pay for that service too.
    anyway I hope you enjoyed the reading
    Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Heh.. the short of it is, though you wasted 2 hrs of their time, they wasted 2 hrs of your time, too.

Alternate version:

sb1:Hi, we are from ####### and we come to advertise this product that has become
    available in this region. Are your parents at home
    me: Ah, well we have adsl already so, we really not interest
    sb1: At what time are your parents at home?
    me: my mother is home now (stupid I am, nevertheless).
    sb1: Call yur mother, she has the right to hear it too.
    me: Well, you can tell her, but she only speaks Ukrainian, and besides, she's in a coma. My dad will be home at 6 o clock. Please come back then.. he actually mentioned something about wanting to change providers.
    sb1: Great, well here's my card, we will return at 6.

(Now position a garden sprinkler or two where they can easily drench a person standing at your door in a matter of seconds.)

6 PM:

sb1: Knock knock knock..
    me: (turns faucet on)
    sb1: #$*%&($#@!#!!!

Comment

I hate door to door salesmen and all the psycho crap they try to pull on you. You just have to be firm, tell them you're not interested and close the door as fast as you can.

Comment

Luckily, door to door sales are illegal in Denmark.
        Same goes for telephone sales, unless its newspapers or charity.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I'm downright rude to both door-to-door and phone (unsolicited) salesmen, Jehovah's Witnesses etc and send all packing within 60 seconds. They are rude to me, because they try to waste my time, so I have no compunctions about being rude to them. I have never had to resort to 'f..k off', but if they don't accept no thank you, I slam the door in their face or hang up.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I have the best defence I just open the door.

I watch the colour drain from faces as they ask if a japanese speaker is home. I usually rattle of a "can you speak x language" spoken in x language (chosen at random) they go away.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I have fun with them.

Jehovah's Witnesses say "can we talk to you about heaven?"

And I say "sure". Then I proceed to assess their level of knowledge.

If they seem clueless, I simply go over their head and confuse them.

If they seem intelligent, I begin spouting nonsense.

"So what you're saying is that if I eat lots of rice cake, I go to heaven?"

"No, see you have to..."

"OH! CHOCOLATE rice cake! I get you now!"

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I usually ask if they have a credit card handy. Because my time is very expensive and I would have to charge them for it. They don't stick around after that.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                  I usually ask if they have a credit card handy. Because my time is very expensive and I would have to charge them for it. They don't stick around after that.

Comment

Myself and my mate don't get many people come over without phoning us first, as such we can nearly alwasy assume some sort of salesman.

What I have started doing is knocking on the door from the other side.

They knock, I knock, they knock, I knock, after a while they get the point and it is quite entertaining.

Once they have moved onto the next door it is also a good idea to open the door, stick your head out, smile at them and then close the door again.

[I love being a hermit]

Comment

I am always polite. I know that these people work on commision and that they have a crappy job.

I let them know that I'm not interested upfront so nobody's time is wasted.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                        I am always polite. I know that these people work on commision and that they have a crappy job.

I let them know that I'm not interested upfront so nobody's time is wasted.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes...
                        I normaly do the same, just interrupt them and say "Sorry, I'm not interested." I just love hanging up on the ones who can't take that for an answer... it's like they think they've got you cornered or something when you pick the phone up.

Comment

I get this kind of crap on the phone about once per month. Usually I simply tell them that I'm REALLY BUSY right now so they say thanks and disappear.
                          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

For the phone people I just say "Really? Tell me all about it!" Then I put the phone down and let them waste 5 minutes of THEIR time (valuable for a call center person) going through their spiel before they realize no one is listening. Then I go back and hang up the phone next time I'm up.

Now that I'm on the nationwide no call list, the calls have dwindled, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X