How to beat Quake in 12 minutes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat Quake in 12 minutes!

Prepare to be amazed... if you've played Quake through from beginning to end on NIGHTMARE level, you'll understand. It's a 165 meg DivX, and is a BitTorrent download (I use "TheSHAD0W's EXPERIMENTAL BITTORRENT CLIENT", it lets you limit the upload speed to leave enough upstream bandwidth on your cable or DSL connection to insure that there's enough room left for TCP/IP replies from the downstream packets.)

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 14 November 2003, 14:44.

soudns intresting but in 12mins.... like noooo
    WaterCooled!
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+@2325 with Water!

Lian Li PC71 Mods UnderWay!
    Radeon 9800 Pro 450Core / 375 Mem With Original Cooling just memsinks added
    512mb HyperX Dual Channel 400MHz Ram
    Modding is my life allways was my life and i intend it to be my life

Comment

Going to sound like a bit of a newb here and take it off-topic but what is this whole bit-torrent thing?

What is actually happening when you are connected, where you d/ling from etc?

Comment

Here's the main BitTorrent site, with a FAQ and documentation (although I wouldn't recommend downloading the "offical" client, the Shadow one I linked is much nicer.)

Basicly, you find a webserver (if you really want to you could do it off your own connection, but if your upstream is limited it's probably not a good idea) to run the tracker program, which coordinates the activity of the torrent. There are many trackers on the net, although I won't mention any.

When you know how your going to run the tracker, either yourself or from one you find online, you run a program that actually creates the .torrent file from the file you want to share. You tell the program how many pieces the file should be broken into and it figures the checksums of the whole file and each individual piece. It also includes the address of the tracker, which you need to know before you make the torrent file.

Then you upload the torrent to a website and download it (which should automaticly start your bittorrent client, you can run the .torrent files from your HD too.) When someone else downloads and runs the .torrent, the tracker will inform each system about the other clients who begin transfering the file. If someone else connects while that first person is only half done, they can start getting pieces of the file from both you (who have the entire file) and the person who is only 50% done.

Simply stated, you download from all other clients connected to the tracker, the actual file to be downloaded is not stored on the web at all, only the .torrent file. Since each piece is has a checksum, and only the .torrent file you downloaded is used, it's not likely that someone could contaminate a torrent with a bad file (infected, damaged, whatever.)
        Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 14 November 2003, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by NuGGeTTi
          soudns intresting but in 12mins.... like noooo
          You know, I really hope you grow up quickly if you expect to keep posting here.

Yes, this is a neat trick, but it's an old project. It's called "Quake Done Quick(er)," and you can get more information about it:

Warner Bros. Discovery, a premier global media and entertainment company, offers audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, streaming and gaming.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cheers Jon

Comment

Didn't realize it was an old video, oh well.

It's still impressive IMHO. :-)

Comment

So what I'm trying to figure out is HOW he got the video quality to be so crappy.

I'm thinking:

1. nVidia card through TV-out.
                2. Taped on a VCR.
                3. Vidcapped back in.
                4. Compressed to shit.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I've seen far, FAR worse. Just turn the brightness down a tad and it looks "ok."

Comment

Also, I'd like to see someone do this WITHOUT exploiting glitches in the game.

Several times he jumps "just right" through a portal that's closed, or "falls" through a solid area.

I'd be more impressed by a "non cheating" run.

Or a "got all the secrets and all the kills" run.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Look at Wombats links, they've got 100% in minimum time runs too. It's not their fault the game has such a flaky engine that you can bunny hop and and build speed.

Comment

If anyone wants I can run it through and cap it with Fraps in high quality
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, I think the 16 minute versions don't exploit bugs?
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

god i miss quake
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Move to LA then

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Working...
                              X