Nec 1300a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nec 1300a

Is anybody using this DVD-writer? if so, what software are you using, a tried 2 different Nero version, but both won't allow me to burn with more then 1x, which is a little slow.
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS (check www.firmware-flash.com for that).

2. The latest Nero should see the 1300A just fine.

3. Try RecordNow MAX, that works for most people.

4. If you still have trouble, ask at DVDRHelp.com

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I have the NEC ND1300A. No problems using Nero with this here.
      But I do use a hacked firmware, otherwise the drive will refuse to write on quite a lot of media at all and likely reduce writing speed for other media it considers "bad".

You can get the hacked firmware with the improved media compatibility at the "the firmware page" forum.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I am using Nero 6.0.0.23. No problems.
        Didn't upgrade the firmware, yet. I am using the orig. 1.06
        I downloaded, but not installed the firmware v. 1.08 here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/809

EDITED: The original NEC Firmware can be found her:

The DOS v.1.08 can be direct downloaded here:

Fred H
        Last edited by Fred H; 14 November 2003, 17:37.
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have the 1300a as well and use an OEM version of WinOnCD standard.

The only annoyance at the beginning was to find the proper drivers update from Roxio, but on the fifth (!) page I found that was offering the "latest drivers" like the previous four did, worked out well (unidrv-1-018-04.exe) and now the media gets detected proeprly and offers DVD 4x burning if the media is certified for it.
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

On the other hand...

My complaint with this burner is that it will NOT allow me to burn at 1x speed!

I had bought 100 inexpensive DVD-R to use with an older slower Toshiba burner, and I was quite surprised that Nero would only burn these 1x rated discs at 2x speed on the NEC burner. I want to burn them at 1x to lessen potential play back issues, but I'm not given this option.

Is there a solution to this problem? Do any of the firmware updates (hacked or otherwise) address this issue?

Comment

No no no.

I could have sworn I already answered you, but it went away. Oh well.

1x is BAD for DVD's.

You can "cook" a 2.4x media.

Hence most programs won't let you burn at 1x, regardless. You can try RecordNow, and set it to "minimum" or 1x (depending on the version of RecordNow you have) and see how that works out for you.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

But, but, but...

Gurm, thanks, but that's the first time I've ever heard that advice. Assuming that there is some merit in not burning 2.4x media at 1x, it still seems odd that Nero will not allow me to burn 1x media at 1x speed. I suppose if the 1x discs I have will burn at 2x without errors, then all is well, but I'm a little leery of doing this.

Comment

Don't worry Patrick, Gurm here is just suffering from a glitch in his logic centers

Most burners adjust the power of their laser acording to speed AND media it will burn on, there is no reason the Nec woulden't

That Nero only wants to burn those discs at 2x is probably because some glitch in the programming of the Firmware in the burner that identifies media and are reporting to nero that those discs are "2x only"
                  I'd flash the firmware on it to the latest and see if that solwes the problem
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

No, no logic glitch here.

Over at DVDRHelp (where questions like this get answered a bit better and faster than here, no offense intended to knowledgeable MURCers), it's pretty much accepted fact that 2.4x is the current standard for burning. 4x is nice, 8x is nonexistant (although some drives burn at variable speed onto 4x discs), and 1x is a BAD IDEA.

DVD's don't work EXACTLY like CD's, so it IS possible to badly ... well I hate to use the word "overburn" because of its "more than 700 megs" connotation... "cook" a DVD. So, if your media is either unlabeled, or 2x/2.4x, do NOT burn it at 1x. You'd probably be fine, but don't say I didn't warn you.

HOWEVER, your media is 1x - so it should work. However, Nero is famous for NOT having the 1x option with DVD burners, especially newer ones.

Try an updated Nero, or try a different program.

- Gurm

Comment

At the end of the day, it's not actually too different from CD problems; different write stratergies work better on different dyes. I must admit I'm not familiar with the PCA of DVD (either standard; although I would assume that + makes use of the Sony methodology...). But if the drive can't get a good write stratergy for the media at a given speed, the disc will have errors. If there are enough errors, the disc is useless. If it works, don't fix it.
                      MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Working...
                      X