CD Burning: Stumbled on something interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Burning: Stumbled on something interesting

I was burning a set of Slackware, Mandrake and AAv2.0 CDs for a friend today; I got lazy and decided to simply burn them off of the mapped drive, instead of transfering the .isos/directory trees over to the Local Hard Disk. I had done this before with very small files in Disc-at-Once Mode with 4x-8x CD-RWs, but never a full blown ISO, so I was curious. My network was robust enough: 100Mbps Switched, so I figured, what the hell:

The first one I tried was Slackware over the network at 12x (1,800kBps): Complete success.

Then Mandrake at 24x (3,600kBps): Complete success.

Finally America's Army 2.0 at 32x (4,800kBps): Total success.

The interesting things about the exercise was CPU usage: Most of the time, I'm hitting about 6-10% CPU usage Peak with an average of about 5% (regardless of CPU speed; 600MHz to 2GHz clock speeds the CPU usage stays about the same.) when making an Hard Disk to Optical Disc transfers on an IDE-based machine, as most of my machines are IDE in one form or another.

When using a mapped drive over the network, CPU usage dropped to 4% Peak, averaging about 1.5%. My Network usage never went above 40% of the maximum, and the machine it served from never went above 2% CPU usage (Running an IDE-Based RAID card).

I wouldn't be so comfortable with doing this in an unswitched network, but as it is now, I'm not going to shuffle files anywhere near as much as I used to. Old Habits die hard, and I'm making sure to well and truly kill this one.

Comments?
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

I frequently burn images from my server share, and I've never had a problem. Even if the network did hiccup a bit, burn-proof covers you.

Actually, my brother still has his old 6x scsi burner (without burnproof) on a P3 machine, and he can more reliably burn over the network than from the local IDE hard disk. It seems his IDE bus has less bandwidth than his network
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I guess it's just nice to not have all of your IDE bandwidth being whored up by your disk cranking away. Plus that in itself is CPU intensive on IDE.

Comment

I also find it much faster to copy files across the network than copying to another location on the same disk. Hard drives don't read from and write to themselves (at the same time) very well. One drive reading and another writing across the wire is more efficient.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

No doubt, and the cumulative CPU overhead is actually less. No Wonder Clustering is so popular.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X