MSI 745 Memory Timing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 745 Memory Timing Problem

So, for the first time in a long time, I poke my head into the CMOS settings on my MSI 745.

Lo and behold, my memory (2x Crucial 256 + 1x Kingston 256) is running at "Normal, SPD, 5-3-3".

Hmm... I seem to recall that I used to run at "Turbo", or at least "Fast". Might explain why things seem a little sluggish lately.

So I turn it up a notch... and the machine won't post.

Ahh dammit, gotta crack open the case, reset the BIOS...

I can't fiddle with the settings AT ALL.

It's not the Kingston stick, either - I pulled that first thing.

So either something has changed, I'm remembering wrong... or it's this damn 1.6 BIOS for the 745. I used to run 1.3, and it might only be since going to 1.6 that I can't do the higher memory settings.

Any ideas? (Even Greebe's input is welcome here, since he is the master of all things 745!)

- Gurm
    Last edited by Gurm; 11 November 2003, 09:06.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

My MSI 745 keeps dropping the bus to 100 MHz

Now I remember why I normally by Asus.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The 745 drops the FSB to 100 whenever it doesn't complete the POST properly, and it stays there until you change it again. Not really a problem in my book.

I am also running the 1.6 BIOS Gurm and as far as I can remember have left the memory timings as default so will probably be no help to you.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yeah I think I'm gonna try 1.3 while I still have some motivation left. Dammit, working weird hours has messed with me and I think I have my first cold in a long time.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Not only did I fix the problem... I started a new thread. Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
            The 745 drops the FSB to 100 whenever it doesn't complete the POST properly, and it stays there until you change it again. Not really a problem in my book.

I am also running the 1.6 BIOS Gurm and as far as I can remember have left the memory timings as default so will probably be no help to you.
            My comp never reports a failed POST and never has any startup or shut down issues. It just randomly sets my fsb to 100 MHz.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Actually Jammrock, I bet it isn't as "random" as you think. I bet it happens whenever you fail to shut down "the way it wants". Mine did that for a long time, flashing to 1.12 (beta) fixed it and it hasn't done it since.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
              X