A "PC Speaker Recommendation" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "PC Speaker Recommendation" Thread

I did a search and didn't see anything very recent on speakers so I'm starting my own thread on the topic...

I'm finally putting together a new computer system for me (kids took control of the other two systems) and am in the "research mode" now. As this system will be locating to our family room / dining room / kitchen part of the house which doesn't currently have a hi-fi sound system, I would like to use the computer for music listening as well as my gaming pleasure.

I've read good things about the sound quality of the Logitech Z680's and even better about the Klipcsh Promedia 5.1 -- although the Klipcsh are a little more than I would like to spend. My concern however, are the "reliability issues" I've also read. There are many "negative" reviews from people having to send these guys back after a few months of use.

Does anyone have any comments about these or recommendations about other 5.1 (or even 4.1) speakers? I'd like to keep the cost below $300 (US), and plan to utilize an Audigy 2 Zs sound card, and maybe watch an occasional DVD as well.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

I'm satisfied with my Klipsch 4.1s, they sound great. I would like to have the center channel when watching movies though. My only complaint is that I occasionally get some static when I change volume. When this starts to happen I know the potentiometers are ready for their semi-annual blast of electrical contact cleaner. Very easy to do by the way, the pots are in a removable (slide off, screw open) module.
    Just a month left of grad school!

Comment

If you want to build a music station, I recommend getting a higher grade speaker.

You could always get some xDucers. They are "audiophile grade" PC speakers, designed for high resolution audio. Audio Revolution said they were the first truly great sounding computer speaker ever built:

However, I'm pretty sure they are out of your price range.

If you only want to spend a bit more you can pick up some Minipods:

Unfortunately they are not self powered so you'd need an integrated amp.

Slightly cheaper than the Minipods, but still very nice, are the B&W Leisure Monitors. They would also need an integrated amp.

Or you can search out Greebe's old thread where he linked to the Monsoon's on sale for like ... $40. If there are any left.

I have the old Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's and they are decent. For a PC speaker they are nice.

Although, if you want a sound card for music, don't get a Sound Blaster. Get the M-Audio Revolution. It's by far superior for music playback than the Creative solutions.

As for good integrated amps... the Rotel RA-1 would be a fantasic int amp. It will run you an extra $300-$400, but it would be an awesome amp for music and radio. Or you could use any stereo amp you have lying around. Or get a big AV amp with the thought that you'll be upgrading in the future.

OKay, that was more than I planned on typing. This is what happens when the wife and kid go to visit the in-laws and I get bored.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have the Logitech Z-560s for computer speakers. They're the 4.1 version of the Z-680s. They've been pretty good so far. Definitely adequate for PC sound and MP3 playback. I have a nice HT amp and B&W 601 Series 2 speakers for real music and DVD watching though. They blow the logitechs away of course, but would be overkill for PC sound in most instances.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

For music, I think you can't get better than the better Quadral computer Speakers. a stereo set of two SAM 46 without a sub is ~100 EUR, and a REAL (up to 70 Hz) subwoofer is another 100. They reach further down than most cheap "subwoofer" sets do without the SAM SUB 100, though. http://www.quadral.com/en/index.htm (click on "products", not "produkt finder")

Or, if you want 5.1, check out the Teufel Concept E (150 EUR) or Concept E Magnum (200 EUR). They may be a little hard to get, as this is a german company that sells directly, but they've always had great price/performance ratio and make speakers up to THX Ultra 2 reference class (>10000 EUR), so they know their stuff. They only have a german site, though (www.teufel.de).

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. While this new computer system will be primarily used for gaming, I still want something that will sound decent for music too.

I'll check out those manufacturers you all mentioned.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Originally posted by the main lobe
              I'm satisfied with my Klipsch 4.1s, they sound great...
              Do your speakers have a headphone jack? And if so, is there a volume adjustment for the headphone?

Comment

Originally posted by Beezer
                Do your speakers have a headphone jack? And if so, is there a volume adjustment for the headphone?
                The Logitechs do. It automatically mutes the speakers when headphones are plugged in to the "control centre" and the main volume control works for headphones as well.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Take a look at the Yamaha Pianocraft system. They have small receivers/cd players and come with a pair of pretty decent speakers. A really good sounding desk-sized mini system, and not really that expensive.

Comment

My Klipsch 4.1's were bought before they offered a headphone jack and power switch.
                    Just a month left of grad school!

Comment

Well, may not be what you want, but they don't break the bank and are a very good set as far as PC speakers go. Megaworks 550s.
                      System Specs:
                      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I have Sirocco Crossfire speakers, which are made by Videologic. They are awesome, but now hard to find. You can do a search on eBay, and find other videologic speakers. Also take a look here:

They have really nice reviews, especially of the Videologic stuff.
                        ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

Originally posted by the main lobe
                          My Klipsch 4.1's were bought before they offered a headphone jack and power switch.
                          You can upgrade your System from Klipsch for something like $40 bucks or so to get the headphone and powerswitch...but it doesnt look like they offer it anymore
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

At this point I think I am leaning toward the Klipsch 5.1's. I'm just trying to find them for as low as possible -- yet from an authorized dealer so that the replacement warranty stays in full effect. I heard Klipsch doesn't offer the full warranty unless they are purchased from an authorized dealer -- and there have been many reports of units going dead after about 6 months.

I figure I'll be using headphones fairly often and want to be sure to avoid having the hassle of unplugging speaker jacks in the sound card to use the headphones (such as the current setup I'm using).

Comment

I have the Z680's and love them. Went to compusa and listened to the Klipsch 5.1 and the Logitech's side by side, and thought the Z680's had a better sound, IMHO.

Very satisfied.
                              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                              X