XP file attribute problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP file attribute problem

I just noticed something weird on my XP Professional.

All folders and files I make are given the read-only attribute. Yet, this attribute is not respected; I have full access to all files and folders.

Rightclicking a folder, unchecking the "read only" attribute and applying it to subfolders and files doesn't change a thing...
    Strange thing is that the attribute is not indicated by a "v", but by a filled green block (indicating that the attribute is only valid for a subset of ... something). But how can there be a subset of a single file ?

What does this mean ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

If you have admin privledges, I didn't think read-only was obeyed.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, I'm working as a user with Admin privledges.
      But I can't figure out why these boxes are coloured. Does it have to do with the fact that other uses don't have access to them ?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Coloured boxes means that the permissions are being inherited from the parent. Move up your tree and take a look.
        FT.

Comment

I think I found it:
          Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.
          pixar

Comment

OK, I was thinking of 2000.
            FT.

Comment

Working...
            X