• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know why Anti Virus software cannot detect Nachi

I've seen this loads of times at work.

Sophos failed
    Mcafee 7.0 failed
    Nortons Anti Virus 2002/03 failed

If you're luckly they'll squark when you run stinger and it tries to delete the files concerned but even then most will sit quietly and say nothing.

Is this because the worm is launched before the virus checker starts up or what. We did query it with Sophos but got a feeble response of ensure you're using the latets engine and updates which we were.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Maybe it's because you're using crappy anti virus software

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      Maybe it's because you're using crappy anti virus software

AZ
      Exactly what I was thinking!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Quote form Symantec:
        Norton Internet Security/Norton Internet Security Professional
        On August 20, 2003, Symantec released IDS signatures via LiveUpdate to detect W32.Welchia.Worm activity.

Symantec Client Security
        On August 20, 2003, Symantec released IDS signatures via LiveUpdate to detect W32.Welchia.Worm activity.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Good old AVG gets it everytime

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
            Quote form Symantec:
            Sadly Nortons doesn't detect if it's running from the start. It'll catch it if you do a scan as will the rest but not by using the auto protect features of these virus programmes.

Stevec I presume you're saying it catches it during a scan. To clean it we use stinger and that always finds it.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It doesn't?
              Better tell the Norton Corporate 7.6 we're running at work and the Norton 2004 I'm running at home.
              Both systems which have stopped the Nachi virus dead in its tracks as soon as it was present on the system.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Originally posted by Paulr
                It doesn't?
                Better tell the Norton Corporate 7.6 we're running at work and the Norton 2004 I'm running at home.
                Both systems which have stopped the Nachi virus dead in its tracks as soon as it was present on the system.
                Can't comment on 2004 or 7.6 as I haven't seen it on campus. Just had someone complaining that F-Secure anti virus didn't detect the virus this morning while I was doing the nachi removing rounds.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X