Dual DVI-I Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual DVI-I Card?

I'm going to finally upgrade my G400 to something that can handle 2 LCD screens at the same time (i.e. DualHead with DVI). The problem is that I'd also like some room for games that I'll likely play in the future. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I'd like to actually PLAY games like C&C Generals, SimCity 4, and maybe even Half Life 2, if it ever comes out.

Originally, I was going to go with the Asustek Radeon 9600XT when it came out, but it doesn't appear to support 2 LCDs as other review sites claim.

Are the Parhelia and/or the P750/650 my only options for dual LCDs

Thanks,

Re: Dual DVI-I Card?

Originally posted by sthayashi

Are the Parhelia and/or the P750/650 my only options for dual LCDs
    For the most part if you want to go the Dual DVI part and dont want to get a Professional Grade Video card like The ATI Fire GL and the Nvidia Quttaro lines
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

There's the 3DLabs Wildcat VP560, which is probably in the same class as the Parhelia performance-wise. But I've read lots of complaints about driver problems and motherboard chipset incompatibilities.

I'd have a look at the Colorgraphic cards which someone here mentioned the other day.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Add a PCI G450 ?
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Ok, see sig. I have an Asus V9520 Video Suite, and has Dual DVI. The first DVI can go up to 1600x1200, unfortunately, the second can "only" go up to 1280x1024. (Ok, so how many 1600x1200 DVI displays are there?)

Anyways, the V9520 uses a Silicon Image DVI chip. Though I never tried using any DVI monitors on it yet, I am guesisng that these DVI ports should work and the 2D should be crystal clear (considerably). It also has VIVO functions and work nicely.

When I brought it, the card costed ~150 dollars CDN. And they still cost around that. Quite expensive IMO for a 5200, but you do get a quality and featured board.

For heavier gaming, I'd consider V9560 VS, basically the same design and PCB, but uses the GeForce FX 5600. The price, I don't think its worth it though, still runs fro ~250 CDN... you can get a 9600 for that price, which is a lot faster in gaming.

As for 3D quality, the new ForceWare drivers are great. No more cheating apparently . They finally do trilinear filtering too, haha. PS 2.0/VS 2.0 is still slow because of the architecture flaw. (though rumors go the FX line will get huge boost for DX9.1 bc 9.1 will be written for the FX line, but I doubt there will even be a huge boost... only time will tell) Be warned, if you buy 5200 just for DX9, don't, because DX9 is too slow on the FX architecture. (and about 128bit fp color, its too slow also, though can potentially do 128bit color, unlike 96bit on R3xx series. but what's the point of having that when all of it are so slow and is unusable hahahaha)

THe V9520 is based on the GeForce FX 5200 with 128MB 128bit memory, can handle games at an ok level, and can overclock like crazy (even with the 5ns memory for some strange reason) The core I was able to go to 312 from 250, and memory 290DDR from 250 (i think, i don't remember anymore coz i just tried ocing, and turned it back down, but these speed should be stable because i did it through nvidia's hidden OCing tab, using "auto-detect". Basically what it does is the drivers up the speed and try to maintain a stable clock level with lots of stress test. I think it can go higher, beucase I am guessing they put some tolerance to the card.

Comment

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

OK, just a great timing. Extremtech launched their article on DVI quality! Great read for you guys!

Apparently, the V9560VS has a result of "Borderline failure at 162MHz".

This is an interesting card which supports two DVI interfaces and, therefore, two digital flat panels with DVI support. It's also bundled with a substantial array of software and is targeted towards consumers who want to edit video. But our concern here is DVI compliance.

One of the interfaces uses the Thine discrete transmitter. Although we label this as a "failure," it's pretty close to being compliant, with only a minor signal undershoot problem. However, the second interface -- which uses the nVidia GeForceFX 5600 integrated TMDS -- fails pretty miserably.
            interesting read. I am guessing in this case the first DVI port that uses the Silicon chip has fairly consistant qulaity at 1600x1200... that should go for the V9520 also, b/c of the same dvi enconder and same pcb design of the two cards.

however, it seems like nvidia is the problem here. the 2nd display that uses nv's integrated tdms apparently sucks so bad, at 162MHz (for 1600x1200) they also tested 5200s at 135MHz. All the 5200 with the integrated TDNS failed the quliaty test at 135MHz. (1280x1024)

Apparently ATI integrated TDMS quality are clearn and awesome. much better than nvidia's

So I am guess...

For the V9520:
            - 1st head is ok, even at 1600x1200
            - 2nd head's quality is not that great, even at 1280x1024. (nvidia's fault)

For the V9560:
            - 1st head is ok, even at 1600x1200
            - 2nd head's quality si not good, at 1600x1200

For ATI cards:

- Their 1st DVI has awesome quality, beats any nvidia offerings
            - Unfortunately none of their consumer level cards feature dual dvi

Comment

Those are some pretty good links.

Perhaps I should mention where I'm coming from. I USED to have 2 21" monitors that I used for a dual monitor setup with the G400 (before you get jealous, know that I've never paid more than $200 for a monitor). Unfortunately, one of the monitors is making an annoying high pitched frequency that sounds like it's on it's way out. I've gone back to a single monitor solution.

My GF has a nice Dell LCD screen that is making me jealous and is making me consider going LCD. Luckly for me, I don't have to pay electricity bills, but I know that in the future I will. Hence my reason for going LCD. I was leaning towards either the Dell 2000FP or the Planar PL201M, but haven't quite settled on which I should get (reviews on both monitors are lacking). I'm still not sure if I need two monitors anymore, since I've found that working in 1600x1200 wasn't a big step down from 2560x960.

In any event, the monitors will probably be purchased during the course of the next 6 months or so, but I know I should get a DVI-capable card first.

You know, the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm realizing that if I'm going to be spending $1000+ on monitors, maybe I should consider spending some of that cash on a workstation card, like the FireGL X1-128. I'll get kickass 3D AND have dual DVI, only for the low cost of $600 Don't know how well a workstation card would be at playing games though....

Any other dualies have any experience with going LCD? I need some opinions here so that I won't be making any expensive mistakes.

Comment

in that case, you should get a Matrox P-series/Parhelia.

or an ATI FireGL / nVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 or higher card. (for decent 3D)

Comment

Working...
                X