KaZaA and NAT... news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KaZaA and NAT... news!

So, many of you may remember that I was struggling with Kazaa and NAT, behind my Linksys router.

It always SEEMED to be working, in that there were never any little red x's to show that I was firewalled or blocked. But downloads ran very slow, and multiple sources almost never worked.

I forwarded ports and ports and more ports, to no avail.

The problem all along was that Kazaa was inserting "192.168.1.100" as my return address, so lots of connections were dying.

*sigh*

Enter KaNAT!

KaNAT is a little program that intercepts Kazaa packets, and replaces the NAT address with your WAN address. Simple, yet SO effective. My speeds went from 10K/sec. on a single source to the maximum my cable modem will do (250K/sec.) on half a dozen sources!

Just wanted to let y'all know about this proggy. It's great!

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Good stuff. It works for me also.

Comment

Wow, works great for me, too!
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Tell me about this Kazaa.

What advantages does it have over edonkey (emule) or good quality moderated DC hub.

Comment

Interesting indeed. OK, now for the 65535 dollar question...

How is it that my system downloads songs from Kazaa without any problems? I am behind a Linksys firewall as well.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

hmm, now that I think about it, i am probably not getting full speed downloads. It still doesn't asnwer my question though, which is, why do some connections work and others don't. Theoretically, none of them should work with a return address that doesn't exist.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hmm, Kazza lite always works for me and I'm NATted via Linksys.

Comment

Yes, it always WORKED, but with that program it works a lot better
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm pretty sure I figured it out. This is what is happening...

When you search for something on Kazaa, there is a centralized database of where you can find what you are searching for. this database is advertising your address. Unfortunately, it is advertising your NATed address. When this happens, you try to connect to a non-existant address and bam, it fails.

Fortunately, a lot of people do not have a firewall that does NAT and therefore you get the correct address. This is why you only get a connection that seems mediocre, because the 10 people you connected to, 5 people are NATed and those fail while the other 5 work fine.

Using KaNAT changes your return address to the correct WAN address that your linksys advertises. This gets propogated to the database and tada! You get faster download speeds.

I'm not positive this is the answer, but I am 90% sure.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                    hmm, now that I think about it, i am probably not getting full speed downloads. It still doesn't asnwer my question though, which is, why do some connections work and others don't. Theoretically, none of them should work with a return address that doesn't exist.
                    They know where the packets are coming from. But the data <I>inside</I> the packets has your 192.x.x.x address. I don't know why it only works sometimes, but both addresses are available.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yep. Basically Kazaa = stupid. This program helps.

As for what advantages kazaa has over emule... well, lessee.

Kazaa is simple. Emule is the opposite of simple.
                      Kazaa "just works". Emule requires an advanced degree in astrophysics.
                      Even when Kazaa doesn't work, it works. Emule sometimes demands that you sacrifice animals and small children.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I went to look for an update to K-Lite but they have a *registration* page now.... Anyone actually done this?
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Nope, no way. I always get my stuff from here: http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Yep. Basically Kazaa = stupid. This program helps.

As for what advantages kazaa has over emule... well, lessee.

Kazaa is simple. Emule is the opposite of simple.
                            Kazaa "just works". Emule requires an advanced degree in astrophysics.
                            Even when Kazaa doesn't work, it works. Emule sometimes demands that you sacrifice animals and small children.

- Gurm
                            Mmm just seems to be what you posting Kazaa just doesn't simply work. Otherwise you wouldn't have to download another program to get full download speeds. Perhaps I'm missing something.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                              Mmm just seems to be what you posting Kazaa just doesn't simply work. Otherwise you wouldn't have to download another program to get full download speeds. Perhaps I'm missing something.
                              Yeah, you are. KaZaa still worked for me before. Not bad for something that wasn't meant to work behind a NAT. Hell, even most ftp implementations out there didn't work right/at all with NAT until recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X