Question About LaserDiscs..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About LaserDiscs..

I was just watching an LD and noticed that it's got an extreme amount of video noise on it, especially in scenes with high contrast colors. Blue/Red/Orange scenes have these ugly purple and green bars that you can see strobing in the video, something that you would see on a bad quality VHS. Is it supposed to be like this? I just bought this LD and Player for a reasonable price a few days ago. Even my VCR doesn't even show the green/purple bars as bad as the LD player does, but then again it has lots of additions than the LD has. The LD player isn't exactly that great, it's a Denon player. And my VCR is a JVC-HRS9600U, which is worth 600$. So I guess LD is just like VHS with a slightly higher resoultion than SVHS and digital audio? At least there isn't much color bleeding..

LD player? Isn't that a tad out of date what with DVD coming on strong?

At any rate LD does give lower quality than DVD, but not that bad. My Pioneer LD is actually pretty good, given it's vintage technology.

Sounds like the laser alignment or tracking is out of whack.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have an old science fiction movie on Laser Disc. I'm fond of it - it's called "Robinson Crusoe On Mars."

I wish there were a way to transfer its contents to a DVD for a reasonable amount of money. Know of any services like that, Doc?

Comment

Nope. And you likely won't find a commercial one either since this is still under copyright. Your best bet is to wait for the new Pioneer DVD-R/RW drives to come out and hope you can do a burn with one of those.

BTW: your taste in old Sci-Fi movies is excellent. I love that one. Another oldie/goodie is "IT! The terror from beyond space!". This one was was the seed material for the later mega-hit "Alien".

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Remember who played the astronaut who didn't make it in "Robinson Crusoe On Mars?"

None other than Sun Valley, Idaho resident Adam West, formerly the star of the Batman TV series.

When I was anchoring the noon news at KTVB here in Boise, I got to interview West on the news set - live.

Believe it or not, I still had a kind of little kid's fascination for him and it was one of the most nervous interviews I ever did... and I interviewed lots of celebrities and politicians! :-)

Comment

LaserDisc is essentially a tweaked out video tape. They basically take the NTSC signal, optimize it as much as they can, and digitize it. It can also be the transfer. They may not have cared and just digitized it.
            Abit BF6 w/ 366A @ 566
            400W PS
            Twin 17" Trinitron's
            256 ECC
            G400 and RRG
            Promise Ultra100
            :13g Maxtor
            :6g Maxtor
            :Pioneer 104S DVD-ROM
            :HP8100i Burner
            Promise FastTrak66
            :2x20g Quantum Fireball LM
            :RAID 0
            USB ZIP 100
            DLINK 10/100 NIC
            SB Live! 1024

Comment

I got a laserdisc player about two years ago for a song. My neighbourhood library has about 3,000 laserdiscs available for rent at $1 a pop. Sounds like a bargoon to me, as they're all great titles.

As for a LD being a tweaked out videotape, there are actually more lines of resolution and separate audio channels (later versions included Dolby 5.1) which made it the videophile's choice - arguably still so. Of course DVD blew all that away. I wonder if anyone's come up with a combo CD/LD/DVD/CDi player?

- Aryko

Comment

hehehe...you're talking about one of my favorite films....

Adam West was only in "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" for a few minutes. He died in the crash at the very beginning of the film.

The actual lead was played by Paul Mantee with Victor Lundin playing the role of Friday. Also there was Mona, the monkey, played by herself.

Many think Paul Mantee disappeard after this movie, but in fact he has been in major flicks;

The Great Santini
                They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
                Helter Skelter
                Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
                Apollo 13

and many other films and TV roles.

I did a quick check on Ebay today and there were several VHS copies for sale, even a widescreen version and a shooting script....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 04 December 2000).]

Comment

Yes - your film credits are 100% accurate, Doc.

I asked West during our on-set interview what had become of Paul Mantee.

He informed me Mantee was teaching drama at the college level... in southern California as I recall.

Comment

You could try capturing them and burning to cd as an svcd or in mpeg4. I've been meaning to do this myself, but need to borrow a player with svideo out. My LDW1 is an awesome machine, but ancient with no svideo.

Comment

Working...
                    X