Matrox Legendary 2D Image Quality Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Legendary 2D Image Quality Revisited

I remember the first time this article was posted here, a Murcer contradicted the results and claimed that site's methodology was seriously flawed or something. Also, other Murcers gave their own opinions(based on their first-hand personal experience with their respective Matrox graphic cards) that it doesn't matter what the "objective" results say but what they actually see is what makes all the difference in the world. However, everyone has varying types of hardware to comprise the "chain" of video card to cable to monitor refresh rates to monitor. We can also include the variances of the monitor's refresh rate and settings(i.e. color, brightness, contrast, etc). The bottom line is, should this test be trusted or taken with a grain of salt?

Anyway, whichever camp you're in, here are the updated results,

Tecchanel Video Cards Image Quality Test

Same the previous results, the G550 was in the creme de la creme together with the ATI FireGL 8800 and PNY Quadro FX 500 where the latter edged it out a teeny wee bit.

P.S.
    Like you, I'm also stumped on why the fabled Parhelia didn't fare so well.

We're not stumped. The P has some serious problems with its DACs, among other things.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What Results??

uh BIGGS...your link takes me to some babelfish/altavista site...

pretty neat translator though!

cc

Comment

See that "translate" button next to the "German to English" tab?

Click it.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
        ASUS A7N8X
        Corsair 1GB PC3200
        Parhelia 128MB
        EIZO L685EX

Comment

Never saw a G550 so can't comment. Have used various nVIDIA and ATI cards (though not those two mentioned) and a G200 and G400 and the P has the best IQ I have seen.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Wombat,

"We're not stumped. The P has some serious problems with its DACs, among other things"

Please fill me in.
            ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

For starters, the infamous Parhelia banding issue has something to do with the rest of the Parhelia die (and likely specifically the 3D-core) causing interference with the P's on-die RAMDACs. The problem doesn't show up on DVI, or on the 3rd head in triplehead (which uses the DAC of an external chipset).
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, i'm a little lost. Bust isn't signal quality and image quality 2 different things?

Comment

Nope. The cleaner the signal, the sharper the definition of pixels will be on an analog display.

Comment

I guess you are thinking image quality as actual 3d rendering technique / or special functions like the text anti-aliasing on P whcih enhanch 2D image quality.

Signal quality is the actual signal. both digital / analog

Comment

Yes, but signal quality isn't such a big deal with digital outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        For starters, the infamous Parhelia banding issue has something to do with the rest of the Parhelia die (and likely specifically the 3D-core) causing interference with the P's on-die RAMDACs. The problem doesn't show up on DVI, or on the 3rd head in triplehead (which uses the DAC of an external chipset).

It's not solely caused by 3D apps, but rather caused by anything that puts real stress onto the GPU.

a definite 2D cause would be the system check utility that comes with PowerDVD, which uses all kinds of video overlay at maximum performance ... run that one and see your display pumping in luminosity

therefore, to me it rather looks like an internal power supply issue, as if they forgot to add some capacitors to have a bit more juice in the backhand, in case its needed
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi
                          I
                          a definite 2D cause would be the system check utility that comes with PowerDVD, which uses all kinds of video overlay at maximum performance ... run that one and see your display pumping in luminosity
                          Maggi, you know I respect you, but you're the only person I think I know of reporting this. Everybody else I've talked to, and my own tests, seem to show that simple overlay does NOT cause the problem.

Comment

no prob ...

it's definately there on the BB board I have and on the retail board I purchased for my working rig and it gets really obvious when you set your desktop background color to a neutral light grey ... best to be seen on a DH environemnt so that your eye won't get distracted by all those colors from PowerDVDs overlay test.

Even better, if you'd switch VGA1 off right after starting the test and only look at your 2nd VGA.

Also, I recall another person in this forum was confirming this PowerDVD issue ... maybe I can find it as a reference.

Cheers,
                            Maggi
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                            X