Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Flash Card Help

Hi All,

I have a few days ago started using a USB Compact Flash Card Reradeer on WinXP.

If I leave the card inside the reader and boot the computer, the OS will tabe a very long time to boot and the reader icins in "My Computer" will disappear (lost drivers).

Booting without card, no problems.

I have been trying to enquire about this and some say that there should be no problems booting with the card inside, others have had similar problems.

Any help ?

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

It could be that this has to do with the bios-settings. Some bioses have settings to treat a removable drive as a fixed drive when it is connected at bootup.
    (I have experienced similar things with my zipdrive).

If the bios has settings regarding the behaviour of removable drives, check them out. If not, I'm not sure there is much you can do...

What does this have to do with digital video ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Also check the usb floppy settings, same deal as VJ said, but it might be thinking checking to see if its a bootable floppy in a floppy usb drive.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

It might actually try to boot from the drive...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I had already disabled all booting devices from BIOS exept (obviously) drive c:\.

VJ you are quite correct in your question.
          Sory for this. If you think it fit to remove this thread please do so.

Debbie

Comment

Debbie, Dont sweat the location, this thread should probably have been in General Hardware and Software though.

Moderators can only move threads out of and delete threads from within their own forums. I'll move this over to GH/S and more people will probably see it that can help you.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hmm, could legacy USB setttings have something to do here ?

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

VJ, can you elaborate on that ? I'm not quite with you.
                I know others have the same problem.

Debbie

Comment

Well, in some bioses there is a setting regarding legacy USB support. However, I'm not sure what it does. I was more asking in general, perhaps others on the forum have experience with this setting...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

It activates USB support for DOS. Not sure if it has any repercussions though...

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have already been trying that (bios usb legacy options) nothing doing !!

Apperently I am not the only one over here that ran into this problem.

Debbie

Comment

"Legacy support" means the BIOS exposes USB devices like keyboards and disk drives as their old non-USB equivalents. Of course this only works if said devices are being accessed via the BIOS anyway, so I doubt it's going to make any difference under WinXP.

My instinct would be to look at how Windows is treating the CF reader. What drive letter is it mapped to? Is Windows running a CHKDSK on it at boot? Those are the kinds of questions I'd be asking. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                        X