Recommendations for new car stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for new car stereo

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a new car stereo to replace the factory unit in my 98 Accord. Here are my requirements:

- MP3 Playback (of course)
    - ID3 tag & CD Text display
    - big rotary knobs (at least for volume, ideally for navigation as well)
    - detachable face (those black panel faces worry me, would they really fool a thief?)
    - decent sound without using an external amp
    - under $500 canadian (about US$375)

That's about it. I don't care if it has fancy LCD animations, or a motorized faceplate, or any of that crap. Just a decent stereo that I can play MP3s on. Any ideas what I should look for?
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Here is a huge list of most of the major brands.

Crutchfield
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What about THIS one?
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

That one looks decent. I'll add it to the maybe pile. Thanks for the tips.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have an Aiwa that I got from Crutchfield that's pretty good. It's not sold anymore, so look through the newer ones.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Have a look at Pioneer - I've got an MP3 playback one with a big rotary knob for volume, face off and nice big OEL screen.

Comment

I thought I'd submit a request to crutchfield for an "expert recommedation". I listed the exact same requirements that I did in this thread. This is what they recommended:

It doesn't even have MP3 playback! Great experts they've got there...

Anyway, so far the Pioneers are looking the most promising. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to bother with the upgrade, or if I'm going to replace the whole car with a new Mazda 3 Sport

Comment

Working...
              X