BTX mobos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTX mobos

You think they'll be out around the same time PCI-Express? AFAIK PCI-Express will be out end of Q104.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 28 October 2003, 10:27.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Introducing them at the same time as PCI-Express would make good sense. Sucky part is that then we need new cases to make them fit
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

.nfo on BTX?

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

to give an idea ..

[IMG]
          http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...systemflow.jpg[/IMG]

*edit.. well it seems that I can only have one IMG link per post
          Last edited by Tjalfe; 28 October 2003, 12:12.

Comment

well, at least we'll be able to see the topside of our graphics-cards again (if you have a window), unless the change the lay-out with pci-express...
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Having the graphics chip face away from the other expansion slots, leaves more room for a cooling solution. My guess is that they will keep they layout the same as now for that reason.

Comment

Is SATA strictly for HDDs? What about DVD and CD drivers. will those be using SATA connectors as well?

Dave

Comment

I won't rush to buy PCI-Express systems. I think the standard will be quite nice, but it's not only meant for internal devices, but external as well. I think it will take a while for people to come up with good cases, just as it it took far too long to get cases with practical things like front-mounted USB sockets.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm... I think AMD is not adopting BTX standards yet... so I have doubts about this standards. As for PCI Express, I hope SiS will get their K8 chip with PCI Express no later than autumn 04... I need a new computer by that time anyways (entering university)... around Aug 04... so I think I am going for PCI Express

let see...

by late summer 04 I am hoping for (for a good price)...
                    1) BTX (if AMD is adopting that)
                    2) Athlon 64 on Socket 939 and 0.09um SOI process
                    3) PCI Express
                    4) 1394b
                    5) SATA150 (becomes common)
                    6) DDRII (probably not)

Oh ya. I heard nVIDIA is launching SoundStorm sound cards... and I am guessing they will be based on the PCI Express 1X interface... hopefully it will be good... so I can get something other than integrated audio / Creative Craps.

Comment

well...it's an intel standard...

Comment

me going to wait till Tejas or Yamahil Intel Proc comes out... by that time all loose ends should have been sorted out and i'd have one hell of a system... PCI Ex SATAII DDRII <500 etc... etc...
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Good stuff. If it's better for cooling, so be it.

Comment

Why does it matter whether AMD supports it? Isn't it up to the mobo maker?
                            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                              Why does it matter whether AMD supports it? Isn't it up to the mobo maker?
                              Yes, but most of the time the MB maker bases their design off of a reference design provided (and largely tested by) the CPU maker. Just like the way most of the nVidia boards look the same.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X