Exploding CDRs and Samsung writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding CDRs and Samsung writers

I have a client that just reported experiencing one of these situations - disks chards allover the machine and writer no longer works either.

Anybody else with similar experiences? - I have so far only heard of this!.

He promised to keep the disk for me, and if the writer is not replaced under guarantee, I will get that as well and post photos.

Cause?....laser power output servo failure?...........any other theories?...............
    Lawrence

Faulty media ?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Cheap CD-WRs, 18 faulted on 20.
      And, the recordable surface of one of them has melted during the write process.
      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Exploding CD's do occur fortunatley very rarely.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

rarely.
          Indeed...........been around for as long as PLCs have been in existence, and have personally never experienced one
          Lawrence

Comment

I've seen exploded discs in various brands of CDROM/DVD/CDWriters, but very seldom. One brand is an exception to this though: BTC

Out of 100 DVD drives sold, about 40 - 60 came back within 6 months with pieces of a CD inside. Seems like something was seriously wrong with the type of drive

Comment

Here is a great article and video
              Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

I have first hand experience of this happening -using an m$ pressed CD. The drive manufacturers (RICOH) replaced the drive out of warranty. I Still have some of the Larger bits somewhere. However, unless the lens is scratched, the drive should be o.k. (once you have got all the polycarbonate shards out).

But below ~40x the cause is always the same: low quality/faulty media.
                MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

i have had a liteon 52x burner blow an educational program to peices at my work...

didnt see it but was told it scared the crap outta the kids haha

drive was replaced under the warranty...
                  |CPU|Intel P4 2.8GHz(800MHz) @ 3.4GHz(980MHz)|CPU Cooling| CoolerMaster Hyper 6 CPU Heatsink & Fan, Arctic Silver 5 |Mobo|MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R (Bios 2.4)|RAM|2 x 256MB Geil PC3200 RAM, Dual Channel, 5:4, 2-3-3-5|HDD|2 x WD 36G 10000RPM SATA (8MB Buffer), RAID 0|Video Card|256MB Sapphire x800pro VIVO 475/450@540/520, 16 pipelines enabled, 3D Connect bios|Video Card Drivers|Omega v2.5.90|CD-RW|LiteOn CD-RW|LCD|17" ViewSonic VP171s|PSU|Enhance 400W|K&M|Logitech MX Duo|OS|Windows XP, SP2, DirectX 9c

Comment

MANY Samsung 52X CD-ROM drives now sound like shakers in our shop. I actually use these as a monitor stand. One took out a Windows XP Professional Install CD. KUH-BANG. Just another samsung product self destructing, much like their early hard drives.
                    Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

ROFL. Once saw a CD_ROM burn a hole in a CD. This was not even a writer. In fact I am not sure writers were even in common use then.
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yep - I've had a Sony 48x CD ROM rip a CD to shreds. Soon after that happened Sony started putting labels on the front of their drives saying they are not liable for crap discs that you might put in the drive. I wonder if they had a few of these cases.

CD shards all over the place - not nice!

Comment

Well actually it does happen with cheap brands (No names, BTC, etc.) because those drives are really set on 52/56x by default, the others are set to 40x even tho it's written 52x. It happens because some medias are bad, some do already have scratch on the surface and it doesn't help. An optical media working at 52x actual speed does something like 6-8 G's on the media (I heard that somewhere). So do that to your body, you'll see what happens.
                          Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X