Wet and Chilly Chips / Water Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet and Chilly Chips / Water Cooling

I'm thinking of going the watercooling route, as I like to have a bit of a fiddle with my bits... and having gotten my secondary machine as near-silent as I think it's possible to be with the addition of a Seasonic Super Tornado PSU (which is excellent btw), I want to move on to the main machine, which still has to be turned off when we want a quiet house (I am VERY sensitive to noise).

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with Wet and Chilly Chips ? They look to have some nice, well-engineered and thought out bits and I have heard good things said of them...

I would also mount the radiator outside or at a window, so no fans would be necessary during the winter I reckon. (Essentially I see one of the prime benefits of water cooling not as a way of getting the chip much cooler, but as a transmission mechanism to move the heat where I want it/can deal with it)...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

If you plan on having a long run of hose to go to a radiator, you'll probably have to use a bigger waterpump.

Comment

Not a particularly long run - only a few extra feet to the window

From what I've read, WACC's pump can easily handle what I need it to do...

Comment

Seems like their latest kit has just been reviewed:

AMD, ATI, All-In-Wonder, AOPEN, ABIT, ASUS, DFI, Babe Thread, Forums, Intel, Antec, Wet and Chilly Chips, Lanboy, Sonata, Purepower, PSU, nVidia, MSI, Shuttle, FIC, Radeon, google, Jokes, GeForce, FX, Small Form Factor, Cooling, Water Cooling, Swiftech, Vantec, Corsair, Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, Cases, Coolermaster, Aluminum

Comment

Well, I have the kit and it's all installed. Now I have a nice quiet and cool setup (although the faster HDD needs a bit of silencing treatment now). It's actually a very nice set of bits. The most ingenious is the CPU block fixing - hard to describe but basically you do a big nut up against a bracket and it pushes the block evenly down onto the cpu. Very clever and simple.

Now I have a question to those with Parhelia experience. The bloke at WACC chucked in a GPU block as well, and I wouldn't mind giving that a go.

BUT. The GPU block is circular with a diameter of 45mm. The Parhelia's heatspreader is 40mmx40mm from what I read, and so if I used the block, the corners of the heatspreader would be poking out. Do I understand things correctly if I assume that the actual die for the chip only covers the centre of the heatspreader, and so I would still be fine to use the GPU waterblock? One set of mounting holes seems to be in the right place so that bit shouldn't be a problem...

TIA

Gnep

Comment

Here's the CPU block, for interest:
            Attached Files

Comment

And the GPU block which I want to try and put on the Parhelia. Top view:
              Attached Files

Comment

And the important bit - the bottom :
                Attached Files

Comment

HDD cooler and noise reduction:

I use it in my rig, it works excelent and looks cool. :^)
                  It only reduce vibrating noises though, not normal spinning noises unless they cause vibrations.

Comment

Hmmm I think I'd need something more like the SilentDrive enclosure:

But back to the immediate: anyone with any thoughts on using the slightly-too-small waterblock with the P?

Perhaps I should look through the old "watercooling the parhelia" and "replacing the HSF on the parhelia" threads to refresh my memory... I think Mutz used a slightly undersized air cooler on his...

Comment

My slightly undersized round HS w/fan works nice

Comment

Great - thanks Rigel.

I think that the amount poking out at the corners will be more than yours if you're using the Titan TTC-CUV2AB, but it looks like I've found the answer.

Greebe here:

mentions that the Parhelia's GPU die size is ~15mm x 12mm in which case I should have no problems at all

Looks llike I've found the next mini-project Might cut up an old Al heatsink for ramsinks whilst I'm at it if I can be bothered (no need to overclock the GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                          Hmmm I think I'd need something more like the SilentDrive enclosure:

Why do you want an HDD boiler???
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

That's what worries me Tech. It's just that the HDD is one of the loudest things in the case and that bothers me Any other suggestions?

Comment

What kind of noise does it make?

Comment

Working...
                              X