X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFT for gaming

Hi,

i'm in the process of building new rigs for my working and gaming pleasure

The working machine gets a P750 with three monitors. As the third monitor was used with my gaming rig before, i need to get
    a new one for the gaming computer.

As the gaming computer is now a small nice shuttle, i thought about getting a TFT for it, so i can finally go to LAN sessions without fearing a backache later.

Any advices about a specific model? 15" would be ok.
    I'm not sure about analog/digital input. Is digital input necessary for gaming?

Thanks
    Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

The analogue or digital input will make little difference in terms of response time, which is what you're concerned with here.

I don't, off the top, know which 15" monitors are fast. There is no 16ms element for 15" LCD's, but there is a 20ms one.

That said, there are a number of monitors using the excellent 16ms element for 17" LCD's. Notably, a couple by NEC. They look awesome, and are reasonably priced. The 1765NX is the one that I know of offhand, but there are other models from NEC, and models from other manufacturers that use the same element.

Do a quick search on here, because SOME monitors using that element don't have true 24-bit color... and we discussed it a few weeks ago and broke down which did and which didn't.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

i think it would be better to go with 17" models, just to link a couple of them here,

NEC1760NXBK
      or
      Viewsonic VP171b
      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

The Samsung 152X and 172X (15" & 17") are looking good.

Comment

I was looking at the Sony X-73 recently, seemed ok. Though I know didly do about lcd/tft panels.

J1NG

Comment

The NEC 1760NX (NXBK for the black version) and Acer AL765 (though I might be a little off on the number here, but at least one MURCer has one) seem to be amongst the best option for you. Both excellent and fast 17" screens, and not too expensive.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hi,

thanks for all the suggestions, the nec 1760nx definitely looks good, but is a bit pricey with €429 (lowest price i could find).

Does anyone know the Belinea 101556? I found this LCD for €262 and the technical details doesn't look so bad with a respose time of 25ms, contrast 350:1, analog and digital input.
              Here's a link with more details (german language): http://www.prad.de/guide/screen45.html

Rakido
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

What about the LG L1710S ?

More info
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Do a quick search on here, because SOME monitors using that element don't have true 24-bit color... and we discussed it a few weeks ago and broke down which did and which didn't.
                  Are you sure? I thought all monitors using the 16ms AU Optronics panel only did 18-bit color. Or is there another 16ms panel out there now?

I'll do that search now.

Comment

No no. The individual manufacturers can "enhance" that number in practice using subpixles and whatnotwhoozies.

_ Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      No no. The individual manufacturers can "enhance" that number in practice using subpixles and whatnotwhoozies.
                      Ah. So why don't more manufacturers implement whatnotwhoozies in their panels?

I haven't been able to find the thread, but from what I've read elsewhere, it seems that the Viewsonic VP171B is one of these panels. I'm not completely sure, but it doesn't have a bunch of negative comments about its color reproduction like other 16ms panels do.

Comment

Get that one then.

Comment

Actually it wasn't me who was looking for a LCD, it was Rakido.

Comment

I too am contemplating a TFT for my new system. Actually my wife is preferring we get a TFT due to desk space advantages. I'm still leaning towards a good CRT.

She will only be using the sytem to surf the web, email, etc. I however plan to also be using it for a gaming rig as well as having a TV tuner in use.

My concern is, "Will it handle fast paced 3d gaming (such as Unreal Tournament type games)." What would be the necessary 'response time' spec (and other parameters) to achieve acceptable performance? Something like the 19" NEC LCD 1960NX would be about my price range. (25ms response time; .294mm dot pitch)
                            .... or should I just stick with a good CRT and convince the wife we have plenty of desk space?
                            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

The TFT is OK but you might feel a bit "disoriented" at times during fast paced action moments. I have tried playing on an Acer AL732 (their then high end 17" TFT 16ms -was some months ago) but I got the opportunity to buy an Eizo T965 21" CRT and that's the one I'm using for games. The AL732 got replaced by 2 AL922 19" TFT on my P750. They're fine for work or watching the occasional DIVX (I think they're 20 or 25ms)... but for games, I think CRTs are still the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X