Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

failed RMA return... money alternative ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failed RMA return... money alternative ?

Hello,

In July/August I RMAd a Quantum Atlas 10K (4 years old) through the dealer as it gave issues: the powerconnector gave false contact, resulting in the drive loosing power during operation. The drive was sent to Ireland.

Now, the dealer still hasn't heard from Quantum; he thinks they might be out of replacement drives, and are stalling us. As a result, he now asked Quantum for a refund, due to the extremely long time it takes.

If Quantum accepts this, what kind of refund can I expect ? Is it the new price of that drive (i.e. what it cost me) ? The price of a 9 GB 10K drive in their current range ? Or the price they value my old drive at ?
    Any thoughts ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You'll be able to buy icecream .

IMO the price of 9GB drive in the current range. (this was my experience at least - when my G200 blew up they refunded me for price of new G200 and I paid the difference for G400).

Comment

@VJ: AFAIK they repair thye drive, they don't give you money. I think the dealer is more likely BSing you (maybe they forgot about you??? )

Comment

every experience I've had with faulty drives, the manufacturer has always replaced the drive almost immediately (within a few days) - but then again I always dealt with the manufacturer directly.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I've RMA'd two drives with Quantum (directly), and both times they sent a replacement (same model) fairly quickly. (That was before they became part of Maxtor, mind, so maybe things are different there now.) Perhaps you should call them yourself with the serial number and find out what's happening.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yup. Give Quantum/Maxtor a call and find out. I've NEVER heard of a drive manufacturer refusing to RMA a drive that was still in warranty.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Even still, if they're out of a given drive, they usually choose to upgrade you to the next comparable drive they have in stock.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                @VJ: AFAIK they repair thye drive, they don't give you money. I think the dealer is more likely BSing you (maybe they forgot about you??? )
                Well, the dealer is a good friend, and I've dealt with him for virtually all my hardware in the last 8 years; so I don't think he is BSing me...

Ribbit: The drive I know sent back is already a replacement. The initial drive crashed after about 1 year. It was replaced, but even then it took about a month... Now, three years after that first one, this replacement drive gives issues...

GT40: In my case, it always takes quite some time to get the drives replaced....

Either way, thanks, I'll contact Quantum/Maxtor directly....

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Yup, when the only Maxtor drive that failed me did so, I sent it in under the "no quibble" replacement policy. The computer system "was being upgraded so the instant replacement was unavailable" is the response I got until I got fed up and faxed them a very strongly worded letter of complaint. I got the replacement drive within a week, this was in 1998. They repaired the drive and it still works today. Moral of the story, always contact the manufacturer directly yourself and early.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I had an issue with a Logitech mouse that was still under warranty.
                    I got a full refund (the exact sum I paid for it over a year before).
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but it finally happened:
                      Maxtor will refund the drive ! (about time: 7 months after sending it )

I don't know yet what refund to expect, but I'll let you know.

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

I wonder if your "friend" might be taking advantage.. you might go ahead and send it yourself next time.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          I wonder if your "friend" might be taking advantage..
                          Nah, I trust him... He showed me all the letters sent between him and Maxtor (actually, AVNet, as they deal with Maxtor RMA here). He even gave me copies of letters he received, so I could contact them directly and have the proper data to refer to this RMA case.

you might go ahead and send it yourself next time.
                          That, I will do, just to have full controll (and not have to deal with a person inbetween).

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Err....VJ, AVnet is not doing anything in Belgium anymore, except Eizo and some +/- official Matrox distribution. Next time: send it directly to Maxtor. Unless your friend buys outside Belgium of course. AVnet has always struck me as too big for their organizational skills...

Comment

Working...
                            X