Something not right with my PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something not right with my PC...

... but I dont know what it is. It has been running perfectly for about half a year, and the last few weeks I hardly turned it off at all. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, it started crashing whenever I turned it on after it had been shut down for a while. But that wasnt so bad, because it would just restart as if I had hit the reset button, and then it would work again until the next time i turned it off.

I put this down to the power supply and was just waiting for the end of the month to get a new one (money reasons ), when the computer just started reseting itself every few minutes, so I couldnt work with it at all. I called a pc store, and asked them what the problem might be, and they said it was either windows, the Power Supply or the mainboard, maybe somehing else (that information did not help me very much though ).

I decided to just do a clean winXP install, because that would rule out the windows problem and the power supply problem. First try it showed me one of those blue "critical error, windows has been shut down so you computer wont be damaged" windows.

Just to try something else I reset the bios to default and tried again, and after 2 more tries I got windows up and running again, and for about an hour after the installation was complete, things seemed fine, until it started crashing again.

So I know it wasnt a windows error, it probably isnt my video or audio card, and if the CPU would be broken, it probably would work at all. my guess is that its either the mainboard or the powersupply, but it might be something else. if anyone has an idea what it might be, please let me know

just a thought but when was the last time you did a spring cleaning in your case.
    heat build up due to dust accumulation can give you strange symptoms!

Comment

checked that, too, its not the heat, it showed me 39 cpu and 34 system temp in the bios.

Here are the system specs btw:

athlonxp 2600+
      512 ram
      via kt266a mobo (MSI)
      radeon 8500DV
      audigy 1

Comment

1.check the caps!
        2.check the PSU!
        3. run memtest
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          1.check the caps!
          caps?

Comment

elkos, elektrolytkondensatoren.

the "barrel"-shaped things.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Clean out the dust from the PS with canned air or a vacumcleaner.
              Last edited by Rigel; 26 October 2003, 13:26.

Comment

Ill try that and check the caps once I get home.

Comment

Yup, also sounds like a case of bad capacitors to me...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

so if the caps are bad I need a new mobo, right?

I would probably go with a Sis chipset because of the price. should i go with elitgroup or with gigabyte?

Comment

Doesn't this sound familar. You haven't stolen my other pc have you I'll just look. Nope still there but awaiting spares. Funny MSI board as well

1) Memtest run that first as it the easiest.

2) Check your voltages 3.3 and 5v line is very important for AMD I believe. Better if you use a meter rather than software. If you beleive try me different software and they'll all give you different values. Of course if theres large voltage swings like in my case this will show on any software as long as the update period is quick enougth. So try any psu.

3) Remove other hardware and try another video card.

If still no go you're left with either a faulty Mboard or a faulty cpu. Which is my case at the moment.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

have you checked for the blaster worm as well (msblast.exe in windows folder)?

Comment

Check/replace the drive cables.

Comment

Quick reference:

Stage one (software):
                            Scandisk
                            Virus/Worm/Hacker scan

Stage 2 (soft-hardware):
                            memtest
                            cables (disconnect - reconnect)
                            memory modules (take them out, clean connectors using soft eraser)

Stage 3 (hardware - sfotware):
                            Choose between:
                            1. compeltely disassemling your computer, cleaning up everything and re-assembling it.
                            2. fresh install of EVERYTHING
                            3. Both
                            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted here, it was the mainboard though, had to replace it

Comment

Working...
                              X