adding a workstation to your existing domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a workstation to your existing domain

I have a domain server and 3 workstations hooked to it. I am adding a 4th this weekend probably, but I cannot remember how to add the computer to the domain. It's been 6 or more months since I did this and it was my first "windows" network I've setup.

I believe I already have the account setup so that it is just waiting for the machine to be hooked up, but I remember there is some CLI option I need to do in order for it to get onto the domain properly. I think it is the 'net' command, but I just can't remember how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Here is the 'net' cli help, but it doesn't jog my memories

NET [ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP | HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | NAME | PAUSE | PRINT | SEND | SESSION | SHARE | START | STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ]
    Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

net start?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

btw, I should mention that I am using Active Directory
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

better leave it to the experts then

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
          better leave it to the experts then
          In this case, I am the expert!

Anyway, i think I just need to run the network wizard and tell this system I am logging on to the domain. Since the user is already added, once I logon, it will all just work(atleast that is what I am hoping).

Dave

Comment

Good luck...

Comment

If nothing is broken, yes. You just run the wizard, say "I'm part of this domain now", it'll ask you for a domain admin user/pass, do some monkey magic, and POOF! you're on.

Note the first 4 words of that paragraph.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                If nothing is broken, yes. You just run the wizard, say "I'm part of this domain now", it'll ask you for a domain admin user/pass, do some monkey magic, and POOF! you're on.

Note the first 4 words of that paragraph.

- Gurm
                Thanks I'm pretty sure nothing is broken because the other 3 computers have been working for motnhs now without any problems. I guess I'll find out soon enough

Dave

Comment

Even if nothing is broken it doesn't always work first try...

The thing is moody at times...

Comment

Yes, just join it to the domain using the Computer name change, and it will ask for a username/password with auth to add it, and you will be fine.
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                    X