Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concorde's last flight

Concorde's last flight is on friday the 24'th

At 16 local time it will land at Heathrows northen runway.

For the LAST time
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Hard to believe that plane is as old as it is...

Still looks modern

Comment

I hope the British government gives them to Branson, rather them letting them rust away as museum peices...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I was literally 5 minutes from the airport when it flew out of Toronto a few weeks ago. I should've gone over to see it leave for the last time
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I suppose that now US gov should be happy.

And, we'll probably see a new Concorde in less than a year.
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

It is sad that nearly 30 years ago man could cross the Atlantic at Mach 2, whereas is this now is no longer possible (jet fighters/bombers need to refuel).

I'm glad I saw it a couple of times (on an air show in Ostend, while taxiing on JFK, ...).
            It still is one of the best looking planes ever...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What a shame.. wonder what part the Paris crash played in its downfall..

Comment

I'm really sad. Not only was this such a technological feat, it was beautiful to the eye, poetry in the fast lane !!!

I hope the British government gives them to Branson, rather them letting them rust away as museum peices...
                Neither aluminium nor titanium rust
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                  I suppose that now US gov should be happy.

And, we'll probably see a new Concorde in less than a year.
                  I doubt that, the trend is larger planes hauling hundreds of passengers as fuel efficient as posible

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  What a shame.. wonder what part the Paris crash played in its downfall..
                  That and that it was so thirsty and not to mention all the noise it made a Mach2

Noise and fule consumption being the realy big reasons
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

One accident in all its histroy and even that suposedly caused by debries on the runway.

I have a feeling they wanted to retire it anyway, not comercially viable anymore ? How much was a one way ticket, 6-8k $ ?
                    The general public use the normal plains while executives use private/corporate jets now, in between they probably had a hard time filling the places.

Comment

Main cost was the maintenance. If I remember correctly, it needs 30 hours of ground maintenance for every hour of flight. Also, my uncle - who flew with it - told me it is not very comfortable (noise, not much room, ...).
                      I don't think running it was ever profitable, apart perhaps from the status that came with offering Concorde flights...

Anyone knew that at Mach 2 the plane is 15 cm longer than on the ground ?

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Only hope left for even a near-SST is a resurgance of Boeings Sonic Cruiser, which has been at least temporailiy shelved due to the downturn in air traffic since 9/11. It'll do .98 mach in normal flight (and probably faster if economics allowed).

Some of its tech is transferrable to widebodies in the form of engine efficiency improvements.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2003, 02:31.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                          One accident in all its histroy and even that suposedly caused by debries on the runway.

I have a feeling they wanted to retire it anyway, not comercially viable anymore ?

The Concorde could mantain himself pretty well, and it should have been a much more common plane today if everything would have worked as it should.

(you can find the following history on almost all airplane's encyclopedias)
                          At the time Concorde project begun, there were three "players" in the game: USA, URSS and Europe.
                          Russians and Europeans were the first to "see" the future of a Mach 2 passenger plane, and begun developing it really fast.
                          So, when USA begun to think about such plane, too, it was really too late to be competitive. USA tried to develop it, however, but they had a few initial problems with the project and soon realized that they couldn't be in time.
                          Now, as everybody knows, USA economic depends a lot from airplane's industry, so the Mach2 Plane problem could be much worse than what should seems.

In the end, USA government took two simple contermeasures:
                          1) Refuse to the Concorde to land in their country. Simply and effective; the plane that was born to bring thousands of businessman accross the ocean was forced to fly only in Europe, thus becoming useless2
                          2) Advertise versus the Concorde with a campaign about the supposed (and obviously false) acoustic pollution that the Concorde would have done flying above European cities at Mach 2 speed. This brought european governments to deny the Concord access to their airports.

Concorde was so limited to travel only from England to France and viceversa, and still from only a couple of airports. In the end, however, the Concorde got the permission to land on one airport in the USA, and the project went ok.

The general public use the normal plains while executives use private/corporate jets now, in between they probably had a hard time filling the places.
                          Private/corporate jets cannot even barely stand against Concorde, if not for comfort. The only plane that could someway match Concorde speed is a higly expensive Learjet. And there is no real use for those in corporate use, other than being "the president one".
                          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                            INeither aluminium nor titanium rust
                            give me some quicksilver and I'll show you how fast aluminium will "rust".

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I used to grow beautiful AlHg "trees" in my bedroom as a youth. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise, especially when the folly is induced by mercury poisoning. However, I doubt whether Concorde is likely to fly through a mist of mercury vapour.
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                              X