AVG Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG Question

So I upgraded to AVG 7, and I'm not at all convinced that the e-mail scanning is actually DOING anything any more.

With AVG6, every e-mail was tagged as clean, incoming and outgoing.

With AVG7, it's not.

Now I _am_ using Outlook from Office 2003, but I'm also using the latest build of AVG7... and AVG6 works fine with Outlook 2003.

Anyone else having this problem? The e-mail scanner component shows that it's 100% functional...

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Running the same setup, WinXP SP1, Outlook 2003, AVG 7. My email scanner is shown running, but not getting any "tagged" emails. I do have a Quarentine folder with nothing in it.

Haven't ever tested by sending a virus to myself before, so I can't really say if it's working beyond the Virus Scan Console saying it is.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You could try sending yourself the eicar test virus - plenty of places on the net to get that emailed from.

This looks like a comprehensive set of tests - http://www.testvirus.org/
      Last edited by Rob(QG); 23 October 2003, 13:01.

Comment

So I tried those tests, and was told that something called "Brightmail" had removed the EICAR virus from them. That's not AVG obviously, since it's from Symantec. Does Comcast's mail server have that... or... is testvirus.org's mailer preventing them from sending out the virus?

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

It's not testvirus.org's mailer that is the issue - looks like your ISP has their own anti-virus

I sent copies to myself, to check.

Is there any way with AVG7 to disable on-access scanner, whilst still leaving the email scanner active. If so, then download a copy of the eicar test file and try and email it out.
          Last edited by Rob(QG); 23 October 2003, 14:39.

Comment

Well, the AVG mail scanner caught it. It's just not as obvious as it used to be. Sad, I kinda liked the tagging.

On the other hand, the on-access scanner is f***ing USELESS, it let me download and save off a half dozen virus files without so much as a blip.

Practical upshot? I may have to switch back to AVG 6. Why do companies have to go and ruin a good thing?

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Why do companies have to go and ruin a good thing?
              Got to have a hobby I guess...

Jeff
              -We stop learning when We die, and some
              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Not sure that AVG6 works any different - that's what I use.

I sent myself an eicar test virus and it didn't flag the virus until I actually ran the attachment - ie after Outlook Express had finished asking questions about if I really wanted to run it.

I seem to remember the on-access scanner does the same with files on the computer - only notices the virus just before the file executes, rather than as windows accesses it to get the properties of it. I suppose that's one of the reasons why it AVG slows your PC down much less than some AV software.

Of course it might just be because I have disabled the XP function of pulling extended properties out of files, and therefore XP accesses files less.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Well, the AVG mail scanner caught it. It's just not as obvious as it used to be. Sad, I kinda liked the tagging.
                  In AVG 6, there is an option to turn on/off the tagging. Perhaps it is by default off in AVG 7 ?

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Jorg, that's what I thought, but I can't find a way to turn it back on.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Rob(QG)
                      I seem to remember the on-access scanner does the same with files on the computer - only notices the virus just before the file executes, rather than as windows accesses it to get the properties of it. I suppose that's one of the reasons why it AVG slows your PC down much less than some AV software.
                      The manual says: "... Working in the background, it checks the files as they are opened, run, or saved...." and a bit later "... the On-close scanning and Scan all files options are disabled by default...". So maybe you need to enable these settings to scan the files when downloading.

Rakido
                      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Yeah, probably.

Ok, so I'm relatively confident that AVG is, in fact, still working. They've just made it less obvious.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                        X