Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card + Firewire?

Hi,
    Can anyone suggest a great video card and Firewire solution for 2-D graphic work and digital video capture? (an RT2000 is a little out of my price range) I will be using an Asus P3BF mobo/PIII 800 processor, FastTrak 100 RAID setup, 512MB RAM running Win2K with Premiere 5.1.
    Thanks,
    Riddek.
    "Whoa..."
    Keanu Reeves.

I've not seen a strong influence amoung video cards that I've used with windows 2000 and an ADS Pyro in various systems. Pretty much anything that supports overlay should work.

I've used the Pyro in systems with: Voodoo3 (both AGP and PCI); ATI AIW-Pro (AIW capture is broken, but overlay and Pyro work fine); ATI mobility (on my Dell laptop with SIIG PCMCIA firewire card); TNT2 (ASUS 3800, again analog capture works poorly), and G200 AGP Millinemum.

Primere 5.1 will be your problem, unless Canopus now has w2k drivers for their DV Raptor or Pinacle has gotten their DV200/300/500 w2k drivers to work.

I'd start with the ~$90 ADS Pyro with Media Studio Pro6.0ve (they've a cheaper, VS4 only, version) and use it until Premiere 6.0 is released. Then you can buy a better firewire card later when the Premiere 6 dust has settled, although you may not need to based on reports from the beta with OHCI cards like the Pyro.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Wally!
      Hmmmmm....
      I've heard a lot of good things about MSP. Maybe I should abandon the whole Premiere thing altogether. What's the difference between MSP 6.0VE and the full version? Can I upgrade from VE to full version? If so, how much $$$?

As far as firewire goes, I'll definately take your advice on the ADS Pyro. It looks impressive.

Unfortunately, the retail 32MB versions of the Matrox G450s aren't available in Canada yet... I can't find a G400MAX for the life of me either.... What does everyone think of the ATI Radeons as far as 2-D quality goes? (I have very little time to get this thing built, otherwise I would wait for the G450)
      Thanks,
      Riddek.
      "Whoa..."
      Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Yes you can upgrade from MSP6.0ve to the full version check the Ulead site for price. From 5.2 it cost me $200.

Main difference is full has more effects (boring) but include video paint for animations/rotoscope and CGinfinity for flying logos etc.

If these extras appeal, check into the Pyro-Pro which includes MSP full plus some other goodies for under $400.

My opinion is the ATI Radeons will be orphans when w2k upgrades to "whistler" next year just like the AIW Pros are now, so I'd buy a cheap card like the Voodoo3 2000 and a Hauppauge win/tv if you need analog captures and wait for something better to come out in the meantime.

If you get a PCI Voodoo3 you can use it as a secondary display when you get a better card latter.

Someone on rec.video.digital has said Canopus has w2k drivers out now for the DV Raptor.

Don't forget that MSP6 won't work on w2k until you apply the DVpatchII on Ulead's web site.

--wally.

Comment

Many thanks for the info Wally. I'm a longtime Matrox user and was a little nervous about making the jump to ATI anyway. I guess I'll go with an OEM 16MB G450 for now. By the way, what's this "whistler" you mentioned? Sounds interesting.....
          "Whoa..."
          Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Working...
          X